Filter types for 46 gallon bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I've had my aquarium up for about 2 months now, using seeded media from another. Water parameters are fine and I'm planted fairly heavy with eco complete.

I've noticed lately that my water seems to have a lot of fine particles floating around. They are not micro bubbles. I run a fluval 306 canister and I have a Koralia Nano 240 for circulation so I have a nice current, all plants wave gently around the tank.

What I'm wondering is if my 306's inlet pipe is a little too constrictive and just not pulling hard enough? It has a check ball in it I assume to keep fish from going in, but I think that may be slowing the intake and it's not getting this fine debris.

That being said, would adding a second say, 206 to my tank cause too much current? Or are there replacement inlet strainers that don't have as much restriction that I should try? I want to keep my water crystal clear. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Maybe you could get pre-filters to keep debris and fish out of your filters? I've just ordered some, they were quite inexpensive, from Amazon.

Maybe you could get pre-filters to keep debris and fish out of your filters? I've just ordered some, they were quite inexpensive, from Amazon.

Thanks! I was thinking about adding a sponge filter since I have an airpump not doing anything. Going to try to upgrade to the Fluval 406 first though and sell my basically new 306 on the classifieds here.

Check out polishing filter media, supposed to be fine to catch that stuff. Pretty sure I saw a kind from Fluval.

Yep, I have that in already. I'm going to use poly-fill instead at the recommendation of a few. Think I'm going to upgrade to a 406 though and sell my like new 306 in the classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom