Filter upgrade time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Few questions. While browsing canisters I found this filstar water softener pillow. How does it work? It says its rechargeable??? Not sure what that means. Anyone used it yet?

The good doctors mention that the filstar xp's have adjustable flow control? Is this true? My largest tank right now is a 29g, and the xp1 would probably work well for it. But petsmart has a ridiculous sale on them, and I'm debating going for the xp2 if the flow is adjustable.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...D/Brand/Rena&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

XP1=62 dollars
XP2=80 dollars
XP2=105 dollars

Thanks,

Mike

I can't seem to find the "water softener pillow" part or if they have adjustable flow. I use Fluvial.

roka64 said:
I can't seem to find the "water softener pillow" part or if they have adjustable flow. I use Fluvial.

Here's the link to the water softener pillow

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754017

And here's an excerpt from the good doctors' description\

Versatile, high performance aquarium canister filter loaded with convenient features. Height-adjustable inlet and customizable outlet system with spray bar, venturi, and outlet nozzle allow this filter to work efficiently on any type of aquarium. Flow control is above tank level for easy accessibility. Anti-overheating design protects motor if filter gets clogged. Disposable filtration pouches and filtration baskets with handles allow easy replacement of media. Extra-large basket chambers allow space for additional bio media such as Bio-Chem Stars or specialized media. 2-year manufacturer's warranty.

And if you go to more info

Included in each FilStar XP:

* Height-adjustable inlet with extension pieces and strainer
* Customizable outlet system with spray bar, venturi, flow adjustment and outlet nozzle

Oh, lol, I missed just about everything! I am on well water and have a water softener, I would kinda be worried about removing too much calcium and iodine/iodide, since that is what shrimp and crabs (maybe some corals) need. We'll have to wait for more experiences folks to give their opinions. I am kinda curious now.....

I was wondering if(depending on the functionality of the water softener pillow) I could rig up the water softener pillow to fit in the Aquaclear 30 filter i have on my GBR tank. PH is a little high, and maybe if it dropped some I'd get a spawn or two :)

xp2 is perfect for a 29g. Its actually filtered flow rate is around 150gph. I have one on my 29g shrimp tank and its great. The xp1 has only slightly less flow but the big difference is the xp2 has twice the room for media. The xps filters have adjustable flow, its a valve like thing you put inline on the return pipe. You can also soften the flow by picking up additional sparybars pieces to add on and spread out the flow.

I'd perfer a xp3 on a 55, but the xp2 would do it. I have a 180g that had one xp4 on it and it wasn't enough for me, so I added a second xp4.

For the record, xp2 = 150gph, xp4 = 200gph. The pumps aren't that much different, the filter volume is what changes the most.

Are we having the same conversation in two threads at the same time or is my split personalities acting up again?

NoSvOrAx said:
I'd perfer a xp3 on a 55, but the xp2 would do it. I have a 180g that had one xp4 on it and it wasn't enough for me, so I added a second xp4.

For the record, xp2 = 150gph, xp4 = 200gph. The pumps aren't that much different, the filter volume is what changes the most.

Are we having the same conversation in two threads at the same time or is my split personalities acting up again?

Yeah its in two threads. I didn't intend for it to be. Guess it makes the info easier to find for someone who runs a search for canister filters!

Sounds like the xp2 will be just the ticket for my 29g. Looks like i'll just pick up the xp3 when i get to setting up the 55g...or will it be a 75 :twisted:

I'm actually contemplating whether i want my big tank to be a 55 or a 46 bowfront with a little more height and depth. of course..the 75 is the best of both worlds :p

Just so yal know, petsmart stores will price match their websites. Whichs imho equals instant gratification. Just need to take printout of the webpage.

Back
Top Bottom