Filter / UV Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

My UV is a little underpowered for the gph on my filter. The UV kills bacteria at about 240gph, algea at 110, and paracites at 65. My Fluval 304 is rated at 260 gph, but full of media and a little dirty I'm guessing its more like 240 gph. Anyway, my question is would my fish be okay with me turning my filter way down to like 65 gph for 12 hours or so a week. Just to make sure all the algea and paracites that might be in the tank get fried. Or will the lack of filtration be worse for them that anything in the water? Thanks.

dropping the gph untill the water gets cycled about 5 times should be enough.. If you droped it down to about 100 gph should get it done in about 3 hours.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

have you thought about supplementing the filtration before dropping the gph.. like a sponge filter or HOB that has a day or two to get colonized? then you could drop you gph down as far as you want, no worries! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I did, but I don't want to add even more equipment to the tank. As it is, I have two autofeeders, one input and one output for my filter, a UV, and a heater all attached to the back of my tank. Its getting a little crowded back there :D

Tony- Imagine having 2 Intake tubes, 2 Output Tubes, 3 heaters, 2 Maxi-Jets, a sponge filter (QT filter), 2 air tubes, 2 light strips, and a LED light. :D And this is all on the back a 48" tank.

Besides this issue, how are you liking the UV? I've thought of getting one, but never saw the need.

Well, the UV is one of those things that you can't really prove is working. But, I do know my water is crystal clear, my fish are disease free, and I have low amounts of algea for leaving my lights on 10 hours a day with basically no algea eating fish. So, in my opinion its a great thing, but who knows what my tank would be like without it. Just the peace of mind that I will never have to worry about sick fish is reason enough to get one IMO.

Back
Top Bottom