Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Filtering large aquariums, is crystal clear water possible?

After about a month of running my 125 gallon I just can't get the clarity I have in the 55 (fluv 306). Biological filtration is there but the particles in water are very upsetting. At the moment I'm using diy sump setup in 20 gallon long. Water from the overflow goes through 2 compartments pictured, where it first hits the blue/white filter pad and then pot cleaners. I put a marineland HOT with micron cartridge on the sump as well in attempt to clear the "dust". Two heaters in sump turn on quite often as I try to keep the temp at 82F , and as such I think that the mineral buildup created is contributing to dustiness. Perhaps putting heaters in a conpartment could help, but after a month of running I also see good amount of sediment on the buttom as well...

Now I wonder if it is possible at all to achieve " dust" free water in larger tanks? I'm tempted to abandon the sump altogether for a pair of canisters, but I really like the minimal equipment look in DT. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398961157827.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	235656  

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe need some power heads? Point at substrate to get the mess cleared up.
What exactly is your substrate?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's possible to achieve anything.

Some actual dust sometimes collects on the surface of my tanks. Surface skim with a gravel vac.

Substrate. Gravel vac.

Job done, sparkly clean particle free water.

Don't confuse dust with micro air bubbles. (May or may not be apparent)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies. Substrate is floramax covered with sand. I understand and accept some cloudiness after messing with plants and after I vaccum the sand a bit, but it is not going away.
Water gets into the tank via spraybar nozzles situates just below the surface (for surface agitation). Anything on surface is immediately skimmed via overflow.

Micro bubbles... going to research how to get rid of those.

125 Gallon , 55 Gal FW Community
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello agra....

You may just need to use the right kind of filter medium. If your filtration system can use poly fiber, cut to fit medium, I'd definitely recommend a product made by Acurel. Their ammonia padding is excellent. It's very dense and will attract and hold the floating matter that makes the tank water hazy.

B
Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Filtering large aquariums, is crystal clear water possible?

Maybe get a small power head in the tank near the sand and aiming up toward the overflow.

I have a 75 with an overflow. The particles only go in the overflow if the particle gets caught in the skimming flow. Otherwise the particles cycle back and around the tank based on my return nozzles. I'm still messing with my 2 input nozzles to get better flow to my overflow.
t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Thanks for the replies. Substrate is floramax covered with sand. I understand and accept some cloudiness after messing with plants and after I vaccum the sand a bit, but it is not going away.
Water gets into the tank via spraybar nozzles situates just below the surface (for surface agitation). Anything on surface is immediately skimmed via overflow.

Micro bubbles... going to research how to get rid of those.

You should try a vortex diatom filter it should clear it up. But I'm thinking it could just be new tank syndrome you stated you just got it running not to long ago. Sometimes just be patient the more you fuss with it the worse you'll make it we've all bin there. Good luck

Tags
aquarium, ate, clear, crystal, filter, large, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com