Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am curious what to put in to a hang on filter. I am running two of them and dont know if should have the standard carbon blue inserts, in them? any suggestions on what to put in them for best results?

I have just turned my 55g tank into a salt water tank. I would like to do a reef tank. Yesterday I filled the tank with 30lbs of dry sand and 20lbs of live sand, 15lbs of live rock, and salt water. I plan on adding 20 more lbs of live rock this weekend and a couple sails and sand shifters. i will provide some picture of my setup soon. i'm running no sump, just two hang on filters that were on my freshwater setup, a decent size protein skimmer, one large heater, and two power heads.

All I use is carbon and filter sponge. Remember to clean your filter often tho or you will get spike of nitrites

You do not need the filters if you are running a skimmer.

You may want to add another smaller powerhead. I would add the other 20lbs of LR and wait a week before adding any inverts.

if you have a HOB skimmer id definitely keep the two HOB filters running. as for media you dont need much besides some filter floss and your choice of media whether it be carbon, purigen, chemipure, etc.

and yeah, there really isnt such a thing as too much filtration.

Back
Top Bottom