Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Just curious on your thoughts/experience with this. I've always thought fish live in some muddy/dirty rives but do they do better in clearer water (not floating on air but fairly good) - or is it just for us?
Some fish like turbid water more than others. For the most part fish like reasonably clear water but the more cloudy water tends to hamper vision. South american cichlids in particular like more turbid water however the cloudiness that generally occurs in aquariums is still perfectly clear for the fish we keep.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
The OP never mentioned what size tank it was for. He/she asked what people thought was the best brand of filter.
By the way, I agree with your choice for a 10g, apart from the pre-fliter sponge!!......
Lol thank you for clarifying that for everyone!

Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, according to most of you guys an aqua clear or a fluvial c series for a power filter or a fluvial or an eheim for a canister is probably best, correct?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post
So, according to most of you guys an aqua clear or a fluvial c series for a power filter or a fluvial or an eheim for a canister is probably best, correct?
That about sums it up.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post
The Fluval C3 will give you a better result than the AquaClear50 for crystal clear polished water which equals the clarity of a canister filter. I have both. The AquaClear50 moves water bottom to top and has an initial sponge that is the same thickness throughout for catching particles. The FluvalC3 moves water from back to front using a pad that goes from coarse filter to a second "fine debris" polishing pad. It also has a trickle filter on top of your biomedia.

That is why Aquaclear claims 3 stage filtration while Fluval C series says five stage.

In either filter, the carbon is a waste of space. For best results, in a Fluval C ... use Purigen instead of carbon, ....... In an AquaClear ....... use some kind of polishing pad in the middle and Purigen if you can get it to fit.

If you upgrade to an AquaClear70 ....... which moves water from bottom to top rather than back to front like the FluvalC series, you do have room to get your water polished due to the extra 1.5 inches of depth in the plastic filter casing in which you can put dense polishing floss plus Purigen.

In a tank less than 55 gallons, a canister filter is a complete waste of time. effort, leaks, and cost when a Fluval C series will give you the same end result.

Best wishes.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you everyone for your help!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a marineland c530 canister on my 90 gal African tank I like it but it is a little.loud
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a c360. I won't have another marineland canister. It's because of what happened with that canister that I spent the big bucks on a Eheim.
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

what happened to your filter
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #30

What filter really works?
I have a nexx by API is this good too?

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com