Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakefunnell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a new aqua clear filter for the 30 gallon aquarium in my bedroom. It makes a fairly loud grinding noise. I have a smaller National Geographic filter that makes no noise at all, and I love that. I was wondering if anyone can help me on either a good SILENT filter to go with, or how to make my current one more silent?

Youre not alone with the aquaclear loud noise problem. Heres a good step by step website to solve it: http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/equipment/4549-silence-aquaclear.html
If you seek advice for silent filters, sunsun canister filters work miracles without a sound. You could also try the tetra whisper filters that make aboslutely 0 sound because of its internal water nature.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I bought an AC50 as a backup to an existing one to provide additional flow and filtration. After setting it up, I found that it was noisy. The one I already had was silent. After trying various things such as a clean & lube with the impeller, I simply swapped the impellers. This resulted in two quiet filters.
If the suggested tips in the previous post do not work, return and exchange the filter if possible. Else, you can order a new impeller.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neither of these steps worked. The filter is still making the exact same grinding noise. I am going to take it back and go with an internal filter. but i am not sure yet.

Exchange it for another AC filter. The one might have been a lemon. The flexible media options cannot be beat for an HOB or internal filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom