Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be better to have a undergravel filter and a hang on tank fiter in the same rank working.Because I want my tank to have the best filtration.So would my i dea be a bad or good one,please let me know.

-amphibianboy528

I'm assuming your tank is less than 20 gal. As long as you get a decent HOB filter, you should have no problem at all. Just my opinion. As long as the HOB does its job, and you vaccum once every couple weeks, you should be fine.

I don't have personal experience with undergravel filters, but from everything I've read on here, people think they're way more trouble than they're worth.

really I thought the tank would be twice as clean because of the undergravel filter.I did not know it was that hard.
-amphibianboy528

HOB=hang on back filter.

Undergravel filters are way more trouble then they are worth for sure.
All the gunk that builds up under them can cause problems with your water perameters.

What size tank do you have?

You should ditch one. They're just going to work against each other, as I understand them. That way you have two barely functional filters, instead of one functional filter.

If you have to get two (and I don't see why you would), I would get two HOBs.

Two filters, however, in a small FW tank, is generally like washing your hands twice.. more time and effort wasted, hands just as clean with one washing.

i would NOT use a UGF again, didnt get on with them, and oh my god the gunk that was underneath it was disgusting! just me experience :)

okay so using a UGF is not a good idea for a tank,right.And what would be better would be 2 HOB filters.But what if you had a ten gallon aquarium and had a 20 HOB filter or higher would that be better than two HOB that are for ten gallon aquarium. :?:

amphibianboy528 said:
okay so using a UGF is not a good idea for a tank,right.And what would be better would be 2 HOB filters.But what if you had a ten gallon aquarium and had a 20 HOB filter or higher would that be better than two HOB that are for ten gallon aquarium. :?:

Some people have had good luck with UGFs.. I have had two in my life.. and yes, there was a ton of yuck underneath. I wouldn't want that near my fish, or me, and it was especially gross as the first had been in my kitchen. :roll: Fortunately, I don't use my kitchen. :oops:

There is a reason that a ten gallon filter is called that.. it's made for a ten gallon aquarium.

Are you planning on overstocking, worried about overfeeding, or just concerned for your fish?

If the first, don't.

If it's the second, feed as much as they'll eat in five minutes, and siphon up the rest.

If it's the third, follow the two above bits of advice, and you should be just fine.

If you get a HOB filter that pumps 10 times the number of gallons in your tank per hour, that's a good amount of filtration. So if you have a 10 gal tank, get a filter that pumps at least 100 gal. per hour. Penguin Biowheels and AquaClear filters are good. Those are the ones I use and like. Hope that helps. :D

i have my marine fish in a ten gallon till I get the 50 gallon tank set-up.In the ten gallon the water has been really cloudy.I have a Aqua-Tech 5-10 gallon filter and it won't clear the water up. :(

If this is a saltwater tank, maybe you need to post your question in the saltwater forum. I don't know much about saltwater, maybe the filtration needs are different.

Back
Top Bottom