Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 30gal aquarium and I'm looking for a "good" filter for it. Can someone give me some choices for a nice filter with lots of biofiltration.
I've been searching and there seen to be so many. How can you teel a good from a bad?
Thanks much!!

I have one of these Eheim Pro II Series 2026 on a 29 gal tank. Its probably substantally larger filter than I need but hey its what I had on hand.

The filter used to be on a 45 gal saltsetup and when I moved that stuff over to my 80 I had the filter free to so I just put it over on the 29. I get decent water flow out of the 16" spray bar and it has the standard pickup tube in the tank.

I like this filter as it has the following features

• Adjustable flow rate
    Visual flow meter
    Individual media baskets
    Convenient integrated starter system (starts syphon into filter with no need to prime the lines.

Aside from the filter pads the media itself never really needs replaced. Maybe an occasional rinse in declorinated water but thats about all the maintance.

If your asking about the Eheim Pro II Series 2026 filter I would give it a high rating. Its quite, effecent, easy to clean, easy to connect and disconnect.

Fishfreak,

I was actually asking about the penguin 330 w/biowheel.
My tank is only 30 gal.
When I upgrade to a larger tank I will invest in a wet/dry canister filter that sits under the tank. But for now I'm looking at the penguin.
What do ya think??

Oh,

I think you must have forgot to add that part to your message as I went back and read it and you make no mention of the biowheel 330.

That filter should be fine for a 30 gal tank. The biowheel acts like a mini wet/dry filter and the filter media adds mechanical, chemical and bio filtration aswell.

I think for a little more money, you will be much happier with a canister filter. I have 6 tanks with an assortment of filters, the milennium, penguin biowheel, Tetratec and Fluval canister. I am slowly converting ALL the tanks to the Fluval. After adding one to my 55 gallon, the water was so impressive 8 hours later (and I actually thought it looked pretty good before) that I was convinced. I now have 4 Fluval's..2 404's, 2 304's.

No, this was not a paid advertisement :)

Thanks for your advice :)
But for now~ being that I only have a 30gal tank, I'll stick with the hang on filters. When I upgrade to a larger tank(when I get more knowledge) then I'll get a nice wet/dry filter.

Again~ Thanks
:)

For the amount of money you would spend on a tetratec and the optional heater (which is why most people buy the tetratec), you could buy a Fluval canister, which is far superior.

OK~
Got the penguin in the mail and it's all hooked up and ready for fish.
I also have an aquaclear as added filtration.

Now~ besides goldfish, whats a good choice for fish?? freshwater & hardy??
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom