Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

my fluval 404 just died on me and need another filter. i do not have fish anymore but 2 mapp turtles and am wondering if anyone has heard anything about a power filter by the name of Aqua Clear Aquarium Power Filters from petco 500 gph for up to 150 gallons model 500 for $35.99. it seems kind of cheap to me...can anyone explain what the difference between something like this and a fluval?? will this work for a large tank with turtles or do i need a wet dry type filter?? thanks for any advice you can give

savy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There is an Aquaclear Review at the following URL. It should answer your questions. Note, the latest aquaclears come with bio material in a bag. The article needs to be updated to reflect this.

best of luck,

www.cloudytanks.com: non-commercial aquarium filter review site
asaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
The foam inserts are pretty hardy and don't really need replacing that often, at least not until they fall apart which takes a while. A number of folks run the AquaClear units with double sponges and clean the sponges alternately using the "rinse in old tank water" method so that is much less detrimental to your biological filter. Skip the activated carbon unless you're trying to remove meds. Big Al's had them on sale a couple of weeks ago at $31.99 for the AC500 (new model is AC110). Search the forum archives and you'll see that they are a favorite of many because of effectiveness, ease of use and low maintenence cost.
2 x Goldfish - $0.09
2 x Ghost Shrimp - $0.60
Look on wife's face when she found out how much I've spent on fish related gear this month - PRICELESS

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The AquaClear filter is called a HOB filter or, like the article says, HOTT (hang on the tank). In the article, you can see in the picture that you'll need some room behind the tank for the filter to hang on the rim of your tank. You'll have to make sure the hood will still fit with the AquaClear in place. The AquaClear is a very good filter. A lot of people here like it. But it won't stay as hidden as a canister filter does, under your stand, and it does add a little more "footprint" to the tank.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com