Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #11

The big price of HOB filters comes in with the filter cartriges. Since you can get 24 replacement medias for the Whisper HOBs for $12 from Big Als, thats the HOB I would go with.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I prefer 10-20 times gph over the gallons.. so a 20 gallon would have 200-400 gph ... a 55 would be 550gph-1100gph... I like to overstock my tanks..

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by megladonsharky
I prefer 10-20 times gph over the gallons.. so a 20 gallon would have 200-400 gph ... a 55 would be 550gph-1100gph... I like to overstock my tanks..
Rasing your gph does nothing to allow you to overstock your tank.. Changing the water everyday untill you can get a bigger tank might help..LOL
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The big price of HOB filters comes in with the filter cartriges. Since you can get 24 replacement medias for the Whisper HOBs for $12 from Big Als, thats the HOB I would go with.
But Whispers kinda suck. If you are worried about the cost of filter cartridges you would probably like the Aquaclear. It uses a foam block instead of a cartridge, and you can rinse it out in old tankwater (NOT tapwater) when necessary during a PWC. I have 2 ACs now and I've never replaced the sponge in either of them. They are also way more customizable than other HOBs, like you can skip the carbon insert if you want and add another foam block instead.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate Whispers! They are cheap, but mine broke down within 2 months. I use Penguins now and I haven't had any problems with them. If I were you, I would get either an Aquaclear 150 or a Penguin 150B for your 20 gal.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to duckkbutter
ok, thanks for the great advice on my 20 gal, what about the 55 gal? Should i keep the aqua-tech 30-60 or go wit somethin better?!

55 gal - still in development
duckkbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #17

I had a Whisper on my old 55g tank for years with no problems, so for me if I was going back to HOBs they would be my choice. How did your Whispers break? There is not much to a HOB filter but an impeller no matter what brand it is.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go with a canister on the 55 gal, but you could get by with hob's.

I agree on the Whispers. I had one on my 10 gal tank, then another on the 29 gal tank (before the eclipse hood) and they were both louder than the Penguin that I have now. I wouldn't buy them again.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd go with a canister on the 55 gal as well...

However, if you must go HOB, then either an AquaClear or Penguin would do. Both have pros and both have cons. As a result, I actually run one of each on my 29 gal. I have an AquaClear200 and a Penguin100. I like the Penguin for the BIO-wheel and deep penetrating intake (AquaClear gets deep, but not as deep). I like the AquaClear because it's quiet and creates more surface agitation (possible because it's 100gph more than the Penguin). I have the AC set up to filter the top half of the tank and the Penguin to filter from the bottom and middle (middle via the middle intake on the tubes).

If you had to get one over the other, go with AquaClear.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by megladonsharky
Rasing your gph does nothing to allow you to overstock your tank.. Changing the water everyday untill you can get a bigger tank might help..LOL
Bigger tank as soon as I can afford it ... and I do h2o changes 3 times a week...

I would do a canister on a 55 like everyone said...

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com