Filters..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can't afford a canister for your 55 gallon, the Aquaclear 500 would probably be your best bet. Or, you could probably get by with the Emperor 400, but in my case I added the Emperor 280 as well. If you can afford a canister, a Fluval 404, Rena Filstar XP3, or one of the Eheims would be great for you I'm sure. :D

Ok, i narrowed down what everyone said and i figured on getting a Fluval 404 canister filter for my 55 gal tank. And probably and aqua-clear 200 for my 20 gal. Does this sound about right to everyone...i know everyone will have slight changes on what they feel is better, but am I goin the right direction?

ok, the flubal 404 filter, could i turn that down 5x per hour, or do i need to go wit a different filter? cause i plant on planting my 55 gal.

The Aquaclear 200 will be fine for your 20 gallon. My 20 gallon is planted and I filter 250 gph (1 Aquaclear 150 and 1 Penguin 100) with no problems at all. However, if you decide that it's too powerful for what you want, you can easily slow the flow rate of the filter, the directions will tell you how. As for the Fluval, it should be great for your 55 gallon, and I don't think you will need to slow the flow rate at all. The best prices I've seen for Aquaclears are at www.bigalsonline.com and the cheapest Fluvals I've seen are at www.petsolutions.com (I've been shopping around for Fluvals myself, as I plan to upgrade a couple tanks). When you get your new filters, it would be best to run your new filters along with your old filters for a couple of weeks, then remove the old ones. This way you won't have any problems with a mini-cycle. Sorry if someone already told you that. :D

I have over 10x flow on two tanks sig is wrong going all natraul in the 2-3 gallon ... I have moderately planted tanks and no trouble just less cleaning...

wow, thanks to you all. Very helpful and caring bout other ppl's questions. Glad i found a great community like this. THANKS AGAIN! :D

with the greater than 5X HOB's and planted tanks.. the filter on a mid to high light planted tank is only for machanical filtration the plants stay ahead of your bio-media when it comes to nitrogen uptake.... ie more cycles are not going to do anything but disturbe your plants.. check out the new sticky malkore put up.. sorry but I think 5X is good advise for planted.. I dont think Im the only one..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=55452

got a great deal online for a fluval 404 for my 55 gal...its on its way! cant wait...thx alot for everyone's advice

Great, I'm sure you'll love it. A lot of people here do. :D Let us know what you think of it, and also the Aquaclear. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom