Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bio wheel is an extension of a power filter. Water travels first through the power filter and then is sprayed onto the bio wheel and then it travels back into the aquarium.

whats the point if it water just sprays on it?
Do power filters and bio wheels come as a set together?
Or do i buy one then the other.
If i went to the sotre and bought a bio wheel would that be a filter or just and extension to one?

Penguins and Emperors are the power filter brands that have the Biowheel attached to them, so if you choose one of these you will not have to buy a Biowheel. The point of the Biowheel is to provide biological filtration, a place for beneficial bacteria to grow. You never have to replace them, you just change the cartridges in the filter. Also, you never clean a Biowheel unless it stops turning, and then only clean it in tankwater. I use both Penguins and Emperors and have had good experiences with them, and I also like Aquaclears (even though they do not have a Biowheel).

Bio wheel filters use a propritary bio wheel, basically this is a rotating wheel that keeps the bacteria bed of the filter in check. For most freshwater settings I prefer bio wheel filters.

macman7010 said:
Bio wheel filters use a propritary bio wheel, basically this is a rotating wheel that keeps the bacteria bed of the filter in check. For most freshwater settings I prefer bio wheel filters.

Why would you want to create bacteria?
Thats kinda nasty.

Bacteria is what keeps your fish from dieing. The bacteria converts Ammonia to Nitrites then Nitrites to Nitrates. Bacteria is the end result of a cycle.

Fishyfanatic said:
Bacteria is what keeps your fish from dieing. The bacteria converts Ammonia to Nitrites then Nitrites to Nitrates. Bacteria is the end result of a cycle.

so is changing water in the tank part of a cycle?
how do i cycle?
how long does it take?

What are the steps?

read it , great article, ok, what is a good level of nitrates?
what is too high?
At what level of nitrates should i do a water change?

I would say a good level of nitrates is between 5-25 ppm. However I have one tank that constantly hangs around 40 ppm and the fish are fine. But I do water changes 2X weekly.

That is correct. Once your tank is cycled you will always have zero Ammonia and Nitrite readings unless you add a large bio-load to the tank. Nitrates should always be below 30. If they aren't, do a water change of about 20%. But you should do at least 20% weekly water changes anyways. If you have your tank properly stocked and do the proper maintenance, you shouldn't have Nitrates above 30 at anytime. There are of course the exceptions, like Talloulou.

Back
Top Bottom