Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #11

Re: Filters and Oxygen Starvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudelfin
And plants solve nothing, in that during the day they give off oxygen to the tank and you need to add carbon dioxide for the plant as it needs carbon dioxide while it gives off oxygen. BUT at night the plants take in more oxygen than given off during the day. So actually they take oxygen from the aquarium and the fish there in over a 24 hour period.
Caudelfin
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community., photosynthesis is a ONE-WAY reaction, plants never take in O2 and give off CO2.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
Dude, thats completely unnecessary. Relax. As I understand, plants like any living thing respire, taking in O2 and giving off CO2. I think the net result over 24 hours (with 12 hour photo period) favors O2 though.

Fin,
You may want to read George Booth's articles, as he's measured close to O2 saturation in planted tank systems. I think planted systems are indeed your answer, since it not only saturates the water with oxygen but also gives you nitrate uptake (eliminating the need for anerobic filtration as mentioned earlier). Hard to compare aquariums to nature when the tank isnt planted.

Introducing O2 from air pump into the canister intake may break the impeller.

HTH

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by czcz
Quote:
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
Dude, thats completely unnecessary. Relax. As I understand, plants like any living thing respire, taking in O2 and giving off CO2. I think the net result over 24 hours (with 12 hour photo period) favors O2 though.

Fin,
You may want to read George Booth's articles, as he's measured close to O2 saturation in planted tank systems. I think planted systems are indeed your answer, since it not only saturates the water with oxygen but also gives you nitrate uptake (eliminating the need for anerobic filtration as mentioned earlier). Hard to compare aquariums to nature when the tank isnt planted.

Introducing O2 from air pump into the canister intake may break the impeller.

HTH
I stand corrected czcz. However, you are also right that plant respiration is far overshadowed by the amount of O2 they put into the tank. Basically, plants will aid in your O2 levels, not detract from them as the poster said. Geez this board is touchy
Old 05-21-2005, 11:56 PM   #14

Re: Filters and Oxygen Starvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community., photosynthesis is a ONE-WAY reaction, plants never take in O2 and give off CO2.
Is this a new policy? Less than two weeks ago a user was saying that I was an idiot and that I was a big loser because I spent a lot of time on the boards and no one edited his posts, they just locked the thread so everyone could read it but I couldn't respond
Old 05-22-2005, 01:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
But the main question was: will forcing air from an air pump up the intake of a canister cause the filter to stop functioning?
Assuming that the canister filter has its pump located at the top of the canister, and is operating in a 'suction' mode, then yes, injecting air up the pump intake hose is probably going to lead to pump cavitation and/or airlocking (i.e. loss of 'prime'). As to doing any actual physical harm to the pump or filter, probably not.

Quote:
One method of getting additional O2 is the addition of a bubble wand. While most folks think of them only as decorative, they do supply surface agitation
true, I run a bubble wand for this reason, and they also effectively increase the air to water contact area of a given size tank by adding the net surface area of all of the air bubbles to the tank's top surface area.

Caudelfin, my own easy answer is to run two 'smaller' filters -- one of the canister/modular style for the best mechanical and chemical filtration, and another HOB style filter with a bio-wheel so that the bacteria 'conversion' reaction has access to all of the atmospheric O2 it needs.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please keep this thread on topic, and refrain from derogatory remarks.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I think the problem here is that he wants to have plants and plenty of O2 for his filter.. All I can say to that is there is plenty of dissolved O2 for the filter, fish, and plants at night. But Ive read elsewhere that people have had O2 problems during the night with constant CO2 injection.. in that case putting a airpump on a timer for lights out will fix that problem..
Old 05-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by czcz
As I understand, plants like any living thing respire, taking in O2 and giving off CO2. I think the net result over 24 hours (with 12 hour photo period) favors O2 though.
The net result is more O2 czcz..
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
yes, injecting air up the pump intake hose is probably going to lead to pump cavitation and/or airlocking (i.e. loss of 'prime'). As to doing any actual physical harm to the pump or filter, probably not.
I'd imagine this to be the equivalent of running the impeller dry, which I've always thought leads to overheating and eventual failure in a matter of hours? Or am I being paranoid?

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had impellers dry for days.. didnt hurt a thing... just my experience though.. I still dont see the point of adding O2 to the line because there is plenty of O2 in the water already.. just not as much as you might like.. thats what a wet/dry is for.. unless you want plants then the plants will add the O2..

Tags
filter, filters, oxygen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com