Filters clogging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdoyle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75g cichlid tank with a Marineland Bio-wheel canopy filter 600W. Its been set up since 5/1/08
The filter and the lighting are great. The tank is crystal clear and everything test perfect, according to my local pet shop. I even have babies hiding in the rocks now. And I think my yellow lab is carrying eggs now also.
The problem I am having is that I have to change the filter cartridges about every three weeks. They get clogged and start to bypass. It takes 4ea of the size "D" filters. This is getting expensive to change this often.
Is this normal? Are there alternative filters to use? Is anyone else using this filter?
I had two other tanks and only changed the filters about 4 or 5 times a year. That was because they started to bypass.
Any info will be appreciated
Thanks

With cichlids that can be the case. You can switch to a cannister or you could start cutting filter floss to fit. You can purchase 100% pure polyester batting in bulk. I do this with my marineland biowheel filter.

Back
Top Bottom