filters filters filters.... ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspire0522

Aquarium Advice Regular
im starting a 50g tank... what i have now is 250w mh lighting.. and about 70p of LR... but i am new to this.. and i have no idea what type of filtering i should go with.. or what size and so on... if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.. Thank you for any help..

a good protien skimmer would be a good addition. also a sump with refugium would be nice. it depends on what youre going for. fowlr, fo, or reef. any kind of sw should have a skimmer at the very least. a sump will always help.

I am looking for the same thing Inspire0522. Can anyone recommend a good protein skimmer for that size tank? Brand, model, etc.? Hang on would be optimal for those of us with no sump. Looking to do a reef with some fish.

AquaC remora or remora pro. Impossible to screw up that one.

If you have a sump, maybe look elsewhere, but the remora pro is the best hang-on model made I think.

You don't really need any filtration other than the 70lb of LR and a good skimmer.

Just be sure you have 10x flow in the tank, so for a 50g you should have 500gph total, not counting your skimmer pump. A few maxijet powerheads (I would do 3 of the 900's) is fine.

good luck

Thanks again.. i was thinking of doing a wet/dry myself.. with a 480gph pump.. 10 x 20 x 12. would this be enough? is the skimmer necessary with this set up? i would be able to do both... but one would have to come before the other due to the budeget i'm working with.
Thanks for the flow rate... that would have been my next question

Yes the skimmer would still be necessary and that should be the bought first out of the two. There are different opinions on wet/drys but IMO i would skip on it and make a sump/fuge. HTH

well i have a 10g saltwater that has been up for about a year... it has about 15p LR and LS.. with a mini coralife about 18w... im not to sure how refugium work 100%... but could i use this set up for a refugium on my 50g tank? what else would i need or how would i go about doing so? also the 70p LR i thought i was getting turned out to be "dead" rock )= so with that said.. would the refugium work the same in the cycle stage of the tank.. and would there be any point in getting LS for a new tank that has not gone through its cycle?
thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom