Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hm.. this is going to be in a living room, so I doubt sound is an issue.. I just heard some canisters rattle, and THAT is something I don't want. Falling water isn't an issue, it's the motor sounds/filter noises.

- x3 Panda Garra
Chiroptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroptera
Hm.. this is going to be in a living room, so I doubt sound is an issue.. I just heard some canisters rattle, and THAT is something I don't want. Falling water isn't an issue, it's the motor sounds/filter noises.
I have had a Penn Plax cascade 1000 for a few months. Paid half the price as big namers and runs like a dream. It burps now and then but all in all its quiet and efficient.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got a marineland penguin 350 on my 46 bowfront. Bought it brand new from amazon for $29.99 free shipping. There is no noise from the motor/impeller what-so-ever. Just alil water splashing. Bio wheels haven't given me a single problem. You could buy 2 of these and prob be good. What's your stock gonna be?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
A background will hide the cords but you will still have the splashing caused by the outflow of the filters. Yes, you can keep the tank topped off to prevent that. The motors on the AC's are quiet, its the constant splashing from the waterfall effect that is loud.
I actually have no background on this tank; the rear wall of the tank features cascading bubbles from two bubble bars so you don't even see the paint from the wall the tank is on. Years ago, when I kept tropicals as a kid pretty much, I used to buy those cheap, ridiculous (IMO) paper backgrounds that you had to scotch tape on the back glass. Anyway, fas far as the AquaClears, when I silence my two air pumps feeding the bubble bars, both the Aqueon and AquaClear filters drop to near silent -- I don't keep my water level low at any given time so I'm sure this helps with the return splashing, but even when it gets semi-low and the AquaClear 110 is pumping a nice wall of water into the tank, it still does not seem "noisy" or bothersome to me, at all...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
I've got a marineland penguin 350 on my 46 bowfront. Bought it brand new from amazon for $29.99 free shipping. There is no noise from the motor/impeller what-so-ever. Just alil water splashing. Bio wheels haven't given me a single problem. You could buy 2 of these and prob be good. What's your stock gonna be?
Eclipse catfish x2
African Brown Knife x1
Pineapple Pleco x1
Millenium Rainbow x4
Axelrodi Rainbow x4
POSSIBLY
Yellow Rainbow x2. It really depends on how the stock looks with just the 8 rainbow mixed school. I'll only add the yellows if I want them to pop more.
- x3 Panda Garra
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
I don't keep my water level low at any given time so I'm sure this helps with the return splashing, but even when it gets semi-low and the AquaClear 110 is pumping a nice wall of water into the tank, it still does not seem "noisy" or bothersome to me, at all...
That's good. Falling water never bothers me anyways, I like having fountains in a house, it's not much different. Are any of these filters good for like a flow or current? Or will extra equipment be needed? I want a medium flow current, because all my fish are river fish and would benefit from it.
- x3 Panda Garra
Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroptera View Post
That's good. Falling water never bothers me anyways, I like having fountains in a house, it's not much different. Are any of these filters good for like a flow or current? Or will extra equipment be needed? I want a medium flow current, because all my fish are river fish and would benefit from it.
Honestly, they both put out a real nice amount of current -- strangely enough, the AquaClear seems to flow "stronger" and more powerfully when the water level is higher (you can see the strong ripple ripping through the surface of the water as the filtered water returns to the tank; it's actually cool to watch) while the Aqueon seems to flow stronger when the level is LOWER.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
I just was GIVEN (well given back) a 5 year old Fluval 304 from a guy who I sold my tank to who no longer needed it.

It works perfect except for a impeller cover (which I got for $8 shipped on amazon). Fluval's (used) are cheap cheap cheap and worth the money. A 305 or a 306 are newer models (and they scale up) but the quality and design is very similar.

They offer a lot of flexibility both in what you can do with your tank (planted, SW, FW) and in where you in-flow and out-flow is too.

That having been said, I am still cleaning it and waiting for a part while I am running AquaClear HOB's. Still, for such an old filter it still works great, has TON of filtration and pumps A LOT of water. I love them and suggest looking on ebay or your local LFS's used swap to find one. They are out there and if you properly clean and replace gaskets/parts etc. they are worth it by far IMO.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2 ac110 seeding my fx5 that is on my 125. I'll more then likely I'll be leaving on even after the cycle. I always recommend a "back up" filter. Incase one goes down you still have something running.

Tags
filter, filters, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com