Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Filters for a medium/large tank?

I'm getting closer and closer to my goal of owning my 125.. all my funds are saved, everything's good-to-go as soon as I get the OK to move into my new space.

Everything has been really simple so far, but now there's an issue. What kind of filter do you pop on a 125 gallon?

Someone mentioned canister filters, because they're great and customizable, and won't have issues with sand substrate. That was my biggest thing, because I'm really set on the sand.

But, will anything else work? Or if you suggest canister filters, what brand?

I keep hearing great things about Fluval, but the price tag is horrendous. Is the price worth paying? Will it last longer?

I'd hate to put so much money down on a filter only to have it junk out.

Thank you!

- x3 Panda Garra
Chiroptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with a Eheim if I were buying a canister for a 125g.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

HOB and canister should cause any sand problems. People like canisters because you can add media inside, but you really do not need anything else beside the stuff you get from the box. If you go with a planted tank with CO2, then get the canister. Otherwise, I would just go with the cheaper HOB filters.

If you want cheap, then just go with 2 Aquaclear 110 HOB filter for $110. Or you could just get a Fluval FX5 for $240. Both online prices.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

I second Terrance's suggestion of perhaps going with two AquaClear 110's -- that should be great filtration on a tank that size, and what I would run with if I was doing a tank that big. RIght now, on my 60 gallon, I'm running an AquaClear 110 and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright. I plan on having a planted tank, but have chosen plants that have very little needs. I've never done a planted before, and I do plan on adding fertlizers, but is CO2 necessary?

If it is, then I will, and will probably go canister, then.
- x3 Panda Garra
Chiroptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No C02 = slower growth for low/moderate light plants (generally).

The high-tech plants need CO2 though.

I'm not really into plants though. You'll find more answers in the FW Plant section of this forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Plants or no plants, I still think you'd be good going with two AquaClear 110's -- these things are beasts with a huge turnover and water return rate/flow.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I was a big advocate of aquaclear for years. After using a Fluval 406, I will never go back to HOB's. No unsightly cords hanging around the back of the tank and they are dead quiet. I would second the FX5 recommendation, I'm almost kicking myself for not spending the extra $30 or whatever and getting it for my 75g. I absolutely love the 406 though.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I was a big advocate of aquaclear for years. After using a Fluval 406, I will never go back to HOB's. No unsightly cords hanging around the back of the tank and they are dead quiet. I would second the FX5 recommendation, I'm almost kicking myself for not spending the extra $30 or whatever and getting it for my 75g. I absolutely love the 406 though.
I don't really see any unsightly power cords hanging from the back of the tank (unless you physically lean in and look from the sides) as my tank is pretty snug against the wall (with room for two big HOB's) and if I am not running two bubble bars, the two power HOB's are pretty silent -- especially the AquaClear -- from what I can tell.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

A background will hide the cords but you will still have the splashing caused by the outflow of the filters. Yes, you can keep the tank topped off to prevent that. The motors on the AC's are quiet, its the constant splashing from the waterfall effect that is loud.

Tags
filter, filters, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com