Filters for a medium/large tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting closer and closer to my goal of owning my 125.. all my funds are saved, everything's good-to-go as soon as I get the OK to move into my new space.

Everything has been really simple so far, but now there's an issue. What kind of filter do you pop on a 125 gallon?

Someone mentioned canister filters, because they're great and customizable, and won't have issues with sand substrate. That was my biggest thing, because I'm really set on the sand.

But, will anything else work? Or if you suggest canister filters, what brand?

I keep hearing great things about Fluval, but the price tag is horrendous. Is the price worth paying? Will it last longer?

I'd hate to put so much money down on a filter only to have it junk out.

Thank you!

HOB and canister should cause any sand problems. People like canisters because you can add media inside, but you really do not need anything else beside the stuff you get from the box. If you go with a planted tank with CO2, then get the canister. Otherwise, I would just go with the cheaper HOB filters.

If you want cheap, then just go with 2 Aquaclear 110 HOB filter for $110. Or you could just get a Fluval FX5 for $240. Both online prices.

I second Terrance's suggestion of perhaps going with two AquaClear 110's -- that should be great filtration on a tank that size, and what I would run with if I was doing a tank that big. RIght now, on my 60 gallon, I'm running an AquaClear 110 and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55...(y)

Alright. I plan on having a planted tank, but have chosen plants that have very little needs. I've never done a planted before, and I do plan on adding fertlizers, but is CO2 necessary?

If it is, then I will, and will probably go canister, then.

No C02 = slower growth for low/moderate light plants (generally).

The high-tech plants need CO2 though.

I'm not really into plants though. You'll find more answers in the FW Plant section of this forum.

Plants or no plants, I still think you'd be good going with two AquaClear 110's -- these things are beasts with a huge turnover and water return rate/flow.

I was a big advocate of aquaclear for years. After using a Fluval 406, I will never go back to HOB's. No unsightly cords hanging around the back of the tank and they are dead quiet. I would second the FX5 recommendation, I'm almost kicking myself for not spending the extra $30 or whatever and getting it for my 75g. I absolutely love the 406 though.

I was a big advocate of aquaclear for years. After using a Fluval 406, I will never go back to HOB's. No unsightly cords hanging around the back of the tank and they are dead quiet. I would second the FX5 recommendation, I'm almost kicking myself for not spending the extra $30 or whatever and getting it for my 75g. I absolutely love the 406 though.

I don't really see any unsightly power cords hanging from the back of the tank (unless you physically lean in and look from the sides) as my tank is pretty snug against the wall (with room for two big HOB's) and if I am not running two bubble bars, the two power HOB's are pretty silent -- especially the AquaClear -- from what I can tell.

A background will hide the cords but you will still have the splashing caused by the outflow of the filters. Yes, you can keep the tank topped off to prevent that. The motors on the AC's are quiet, its the constant splashing from the waterfall effect that is loud.

Hm.. this is going to be in a living room, so I doubt sound is an issue.. I just heard some canisters rattle, and THAT is something I don't want. Falling water isn't an issue, it's the motor sounds/filter noises.

Chiroptera said:
Hm.. this is going to be in a living room, so I doubt sound is an issue.. I just heard some canisters rattle, and THAT is something I don't want. Falling water isn't an issue, it's the motor sounds/filter noises.

I have had a Penn Plax cascade 1000 for a few months. Paid half the price as big namers and runs like a dream. It burps now and then but all in all its quiet and efficient.

I've got a marineland penguin 350 on my 46 bowfront. Bought it brand new from amazon for $29.99 free shipping. There is no noise from the motor/impeller what-so-ever. Just alil water splashing. Bio wheels haven't given me a single problem. You could buy 2 of these and prob be good. What's your stock gonna be?

A background will hide the cords but you will still have the splashing caused by the outflow of the filters. Yes, you can keep the tank topped off to prevent that. The motors on the AC's are quiet, its the constant splashing from the waterfall effect that is loud.

I actually have no background on this tank; the rear wall of the tank features cascading bubbles from two bubble bars so you don't even see the paint from the wall the tank is on. Years ago, when I kept tropicals as a kid pretty much, I used to buy those cheap, ridiculous (IMO) paper backgrounds that you had to scotch tape on the back glass. Anyway, fas far as the AquaClears, when I silence my two air pumps feeding the bubble bars, both the Aqueon and AquaClear filters drop to near silent -- I don't keep my water level low at any given time so I'm sure this helps with the return splashing, but even when it gets semi-low and the AquaClear 110 is pumping a nice wall of water into the tank, it still does not seem "noisy" or bothersome to me, at all...

I've got a marineland penguin 350 on my 46 bowfront. Bought it brand new from amazon for $29.99 free shipping. There is no noise from the motor/impeller what-so-ever. Just alil water splashing. Bio wheels haven't given me a single problem. You could buy 2 of these and prob be good. What's your stock gonna be?

Eclipse catfish x2
African Brown Knife x1
Pineapple Pleco x1
Millenium Rainbow x4
Axelrodi Rainbow x4
POSSIBLY
Yellow Rainbow x2. It really depends on how the stock looks with just the 8 rainbow mixed school. I'll only add the yellows if I want them to pop more.

I don't keep my water level low at any given time so I'm sure this helps with the return splashing, but even when it gets semi-low and the AquaClear 110 is pumping a nice wall of water into the tank, it still does not seem "noisy" or bothersome to me, at all...

That's good. Falling water never bothers me anyways, I like having fountains in a house, it's not much different. Are any of these filters good for like a flow or current? Or will extra equipment be needed? I want a medium flow current, because all my fish are river fish and would benefit from it.

That's good. Falling water never bothers me anyways, I like having fountains in a house, it's not much different. Are any of these filters good for like a flow or current? Or will extra equipment be needed? I want a medium flow current, because all my fish are river fish and would benefit from it.

Honestly, they both put out a real nice amount of current -- strangely enough, the AquaClear seems to flow "stronger" and more powerfully when the water level is higher (you can see the strong ripple ripping through the surface of the water as the filtered water returns to the tank; it's actually cool to watch) while the Aqueon seems to flow stronger when the level is LOWER.

I just was GIVEN (well given back) a 5 year old Fluval 304 from a guy who I sold my tank to who no longer needed it.

It works perfect except for a impeller cover (which I got for $8 shipped on amazon). Fluval's (used) are cheap cheap cheap and worth the money. A 305 or a 306 are newer models (and they scale up) but the quality and design is very similar.

They offer a lot of flexibility both in what you can do with your tank (planted, SW, FW) and in where you in-flow and out-flow is too.

That having been said, I am still cleaning it and waiting for a part while I am running AquaClear HOB's. Still, for such an old filter it still works great, has TON of filtration and pumps A LOT of water. I love them and suggest looking on ebay or your local LFS's used swap to find one. They are out there and if you properly clean and replace gaskets/parts etc. they are worth it by far IMO.

I have 2 ac110 seeding my fx5 that is on my 125. I'll more then likely I'll be leaving on even after the cycle. I always recommend a "back up" filter. Incase one goes down you still have something running.

Back
Top Bottom