Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 100 gallon tank that I'm going to put corals and a few fish in. I have a fluval 404 and a bakpak protein skimmer. Am I over doing it with both of these filtration devices?

devinezx9rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I used to run 2 Fluval 404's on my 90g before I upgraded to a 120g. You have to use due dilligence when it comes to maintenance on them though as they tend to get dirty pretty quick. Most people opt for LR as the source of natural filtration. The only suggestion I can give you here is that you may need a bigger skimmer. You are definitely not over doing it with what you have.

What type of lights do you have for your corals?

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do yourself a whopping favor...

Forget the Fluval and get yourself a sump. With a tank that big for that kind of environment, you're going to want simplicity and volume. Canister filters trap alot of waste debris in the mechanics and the hoses. Something you want to avoid when dealing with coral. HOB filters do the same. Sumps are spacious, cleaner to run and easier to tend to. You can create a refugium in the sump and keep the Bakpak on the sump (past the refugium part). Heaters can be kept in the sump instead of in the tank. Very easy to fit any special media you may need in the future. It'll save you money and grief in the long run Well worth the investment and time.
We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com