Filtration, Dont want HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mo Betta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My new tank is 125 gallons. Tank is here and on the stand. Now I need to purchase Filtration. On my previous post I went over having the Pacu and Peacock Monsters. I know I wont have them for very long, but I still need to set up this new tank. So here are my questions,
Will 2 Filstar XP3's be enough filtration? 1 XP at each end. I really dont want to have a HOB.

Why dont I want a HOB? Doesnt look as clean, a little noisy and it SMELLS. What else can I do?

If I do go with 2 XP3's will there be enough Aeration? I like the look of a bubble curtain on the back wall, {buried under the rocks}, does this help?

Heaters, do I need 2 , 300watt heaters? Im in San Diego Ca. Its January and Im in Shorts and a tank top.

Has anyone seen some resin made tree roots, I think I want a "root overhang" like in the Amazon.

Picking out the "look" of the tank is a lot harder then I thought...........

Thanks for the Help Fish People, Frank

I have a few suggestions for you:

1.) You might want to consider something a little more extreme for this tank then the XP3. I have one of these on my 55 and it is excellent and it is likely that it will handle the 125. But here is another thought, Consider pro-style canisters like the Rainbow lifgard, Nu-clear or ocean clear and run them with a nice iwaki pump. You can put 2 or hree of these on your system, each in line and each fro a specific purpose, mechanical, biological and chemical.

2.) My next FW will use a process from Marine tanks. I will install an overflow and a sump. I suggest this because most of the stuff you want to filer is on the surface of the water. Also - overflow boxes do some skimming so your tank will never have that 'goo; on the surface. You could run an overflow box to a sump then pump out from the sump into the canisters then back up to the tank.

With systems like these - your water will be the best it can and your bio system will devour just about any wastes your inhabitants can produce.

I am also very found of fluidized bed filters - these are certainly worth considering.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom