Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filtration for 135gal tank?

Hello guys!
I just received a 135 gallon tank and stand for a present. Although I have owned much smaller tanks before, I was wondering for this size for tank, what would be the most efficient and/or easy to maintain filtration method??

Any advice would be very very appreciated!!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a terrific present . I would use 2 large canister filters on that tank. IMO they are the most versatile, least obtrusive and simplest to maintain. Positioning the intakes on each corner and outflows in the center should give you adaquate water circulation.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed. two of The largest eheim, fluval (largest is a 404), or cascade canister filters. One on each end, under the tank. You won't regret it. And I would also recommend an inline heater or two.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

And welcome to Aquarium advice! Chceck out the articles section if this is your first tank.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow, I have spent the last few days reading over the valuable info...and there is LOTS!!!

Decided after reading many many reviews to try 2 Fluval 404's. Do you think that I would be able to get adequate heating from 2 inline 300W thermos??

Also, I have been reading up on wet/dry filters and sumps, but they seem so complicated!! Are there any experts out there that could enlighten me??

Thanks again for the sage advice!!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think two in line 300W heaters will work really well. Remember, they only need to heat the tank 5 to 12 degrees over room temp, depending on your room temp. If I remember the spec chart that came with them, there will be no problem whatsoever. I am satisfiied with the single in line heater I have on my 55 gal.

edit: the in line heaters are a couple of inches thick, and about 10 inches tall. They need to be verticle to prevent air trapping. You will need room for them to fit behind the tank, or enough room for them to fit above the canisters. If they can not be installed directly over your canister due to the head room below the tank, make sure you leave enough space behind the tank.

If this is your first tank, I would go with the canister filters. You have enough stuff to learn and deal with already without building a sump.

Tags
filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com