Filtration For a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to take a crack at a 10 gallon planted tank (I want to do it right this time) and would appreciate any advice on the best filter to use. I'm going to use Eco-Complete for the substrate and I purchased the 2x13 retrofit kit from AH Supply. I wasn't going to inject any CO2 at this time, unless I find that the plants aren't doing all that well. Would one of the smaller Aquaclear filters cause too much water turbulence? Thanks.

I just started my first planted tank (10g) also. I'm currently using an AC 20/mini. While it is a bit more powerful for my liking at full power I have turned it down such that it filters at about 50% its flowrate (~50gph now). It makes for feeding easier and now my little harlequins don't get tossed around in the current as much.

to reduce surface turbulance to a minumum, i would recommend an internal filter like the duetto dj-50 or the fluval 1 plus.

LOL....I'm using a Rena xP1 on my 10gal. It's overkill on top of overkill, but I'll have my CO2 reactor plumbed inline. Before that, I was running a Whisper 10...great filter, but I wanted a canister to run my reactor with. Personally, I wouldn't suggest getting anything with a biowheel, but it will depend on how heavily you're going to plant the tank and what type of plants you'll be using. For a heavily planted tank like mine, all that's needed is mechanical filtration.

Just a heads up, with the 2x13 retrofit kit, you won't need CO2. I have a 1x36 and a 2x13 delux kit. I started with the 2x13 retrofit, but it was only enough to grow low-light plants.

I prefer Aquaclear filters on my planted tanks, specifically because they are inexpensive, reliable, don't have the bio-wheel (which is undesirable if you ever plan to inject CO2), and because you can turn the flow down. The AC Mini/20 would be just right on a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom