Filtration for a 75 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Picked up a nice 75 gallon tank and stand for $100. Working on getting components for it. Right now I am trying to decide on filtration. Here is what I am mulling over. (Just a note I plan on using sand as my substrate)

Based on some recommendations here and other forums I seem to be leaning towards a Fluval 406 Canister Filter along with an AquaClear 110 HOB. The reason I like this is because of having duel filtration in case one goes bad or if you stop to clean one you have one running.

The option I have seen is to go with just one filter the Fluval FX5. The draw back I am seeing with this one is the $$$ and that it doesn't come with the needed sponges, bio max ect. for the tray and you have to buy all that separately. (I may be wrong with that)

What are your thoughts, Opinions, suggestions? Are there other brands better than this? If you had to start a 75 gallon what filtration would you pick.

Thank you. Once I get this figured out then I turn my attention to lighting.

The option I have seen is to go with just one filter the Fluval FX5. The draw back I am seeing with this one is the $$$ and that it doesn't come with the needed sponges, bio max ect. for the tray and you have to buy all that separately. (I may be wrong with that)

You don't need anything extra when you purchase the FX5. The biomax and extra sponges wont do much for you unless you want to help speed up the cycle for other tanks. The only thing you might want is an extra tube to siphon out the water from canister to bucket. If you watch the video below, then you can see what kind of tube I'm talking about.
Fluval FX5 Setup Tutorial Part 2 - YouTube

Overall, its really up to you. There is not much benefit of you using a Fluval 406 + AC 110 over a Fluval FX5. In rare occasions that one filter stops working, having 2 filters is beneficial. I'm a person that is almost at home once daily to check on all tanks, so I'd pick the Fluval FX5 since cleaning 1 filter is better than cleaning 2 on a weekly or bi-monthly basis. If you're away from home a few times per week, then 2 filters is the better option.

I guess it mostly depends on what you are going to put in the tank. Unless it's goldfish or you are going to really heavily stock it, i dont see why you would need anything more than the Fluval 406. Save the money on the extra filters and use it for the light fixture.

I came across a wonderful LFS this weekend (Not technically local since it is about 1.5 hrs away) but better than anything I have in Twin Falls, ID. After visiting this store with a wonderful and helpful owner I decided with my 75 gallon I am going to go with African Cichlids. I have done my research and continue to do so on which ones get along and which ones don't.

I am still saving and trying to figure out which filtration I want. I am thinking of going 15-20 cichlids per the recommendation of the shop owner. I was impressed with his shop and he even showed me some of the filtration he had on some of his tanks that had large bio loads. He is a big fan of the Rena XP series. Recommended the xp3 for me. I do like it but I think it is similar to the Aquatops that are cheaper. I want to save money and trying to stick to a loose budget. Also working on decor (rocks and caves) and eventually lighting (no real plants)

Thanks and any more input on filtration please let me know. My main filtration will be a canister. I may eventually get a HOB or a second canister as a back up and supplemental

Back
Top Bottom