Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Filtration for divided 15 gal

I just purchased a 15 gal tank (24"W x 12"H x 12" D). I am going to divide it into thirds with plastic craft canvas and keep one betta in each compartment. Other inhabitants may include corys, fancy guppies, or rasboras. This will be a planted tank (java moss and java fern).

I am planning to use sponge filters. Should I put one small sponge filter in each compartment? I have been looking at Hydro-sponge models. Any recommendations?

QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
I've use the lustar hydro-sponges before with no problems, a hydro-sponge 1 is apparently good for a 10g so you will have plenty of filtration.

Endgame319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
1 regular sized hot filter will work fine also. The craft canvis has a great design that works well for allowing water flow through the holes.
2-55gal \ 1-30gal \ 1-10gal in use
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered two hydrosponge-1 units and will place one in each of the outer compartments. That should give me 20 gal worth of filtration in a 15 gal tank. A 100 W heater will go in the middle compartment. Java moss will cover the whole mess and give the bettas a nice place to lounge.

I need to go to Michaels or Pearl Art to get the makings of the two dividers - the lfs wanted $11 each for them. Basically, I'm using Freshwatergal's ingenious method:

I'm sure that the craft canvas will allow good circulation between the compartments while keeping the male bettas from each other's throats.

I am building a pine stand - I have the wood all cut and sanded. I just have to stain, put together, and seal. Pics will follow!
QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com