Filtration for multiple tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bowhunterking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on opening a pet store with a fish warehouse. i was wondering what people think would be the best filtration for all the tanks, for both the freshwater and saltwater sections. Thank You for any help

Good Idea, I was thinking the same thing Im gonna open a pet store within the next 5 years I hope. I got to thinking, you shouldnt run all the tanks on one sump. What is you have a outbreak, Bam all you tanks with catch it. Depending on how your set up is, maybe 1 sump per a rack?

I talked to my lfs theu said they for each shelf and each row the have their own sumps I asked how many sumps they have all up he said 20 500ltr sumps all up but he breeds shrimp and fish in them also

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of doing sumps, my main problem with that is the spread of disease, i geus thats why you limit the number of tanks on a sump

Is it best to drill the tanks, for the sump or is there other altnatives, and Can anyone give me pics of there sump set up.. I am not familure with sumps, and have never used them befor.

Thank you

My LFS runs undergravel on all their tanks. Just throwin that out there for you.

You should investigate your lfs. Ask them the questions and they might show you. You might understand a lot more after seeing a few different setups. I am not sure how willing they would be if they know that you will be their competitor.

Maybe go to a LFS in a neighboring town, or atleast one thats not really close by you.

I can recommend sponge filters. A single blower with pvc piped through your display tanks would work fine. This way every tank is individual. Thats what I use in my fish room, and also used in my LFS years ago.

The only pet store around me is pet co :/ so that won't get me far. I was thinking sponge filters but would wouldn't increase the amount of tank maintenance I would need to do (water changes, etc), not that I am not willing to do it, but I'll have grooming, and tons of other animal to take care of, and at least around 300-400 tanks (4000 gal of h2o). And I read some were that sponge filters won't work with salt water is this true.

All the pet stores around me run sumps for each section. The sections usually have 6 or 8 tanks and the sump at the bottom. Drilled would be the way to go imo. So the top drains to the one under and so on till it hits the sump then the pump pumps back to the top.

Hey foster 53 could you post some pics of your fish room, I would love to see your setup.

The only pet store around me is pet co :/ so that won't get me far. I was thinking sponge filters but would wouldn't increase the amount of tank maintenance I would need to do (water changes, etc), not that I am not willing to do it, but I'll have grooming, and tons of other animal to take care of, and at least around 300-400 tanks (4000 gal of h2o). And I read some were that sponge filters won't work with salt water is this true.
I don't know about sponge filters in a marine environment. I know very little about saltwater. Like Andrew recommended drilled is best. You can manifold a whole bank of tanks and drain them all at once. Just stir the gravel in each tank, and let the sediment drain with the water. you could still use sponge filters, if you didn't use a sump system. I will try to get some pics on of my setup. But I am not very savvy when it comes to computers:oops:

Back
Top Bottom