Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: XP3 or AC 110?
XP3 5 71.43%
AC 110 0 0%
Other (please discuss) 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Filtration on 75 gallon; advice needed

I have a 55 community tank. I'll be getting a 75 gallon in a few days so the giant pleco has room to make a swimming turn. I have an XP3 and a Penguin 330 on the tank now. I hate the Penguin and want to replace it. I currently have floss/pads and bioballs in the Penguin, and ceramic tubes and lava as well as filtration pads in the XP3.

Should I get:

Another XP3

An AquaClear 110

Or something else?

I don't mind the cost, as the filters I'm imagining are all under $100. I am more concerned about whether there is an advantage to having a HOB and canister as opposed to two canister filters. Thanks!!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Even though I am a big fan of AquaClears, I suggest you to get the xP3

75 Gallon
Rena FilStar xP3, Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm 200W (2), Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
i voted for the xp3, but if you wanted to spend the money then my real suggestion would be an eheim...
Just because I am working at Petco does not mean I am a sell out, they are still an evil empire, that I am trying to make better.
75 Gallon: New World Cichlids|26 Gallon Bowfront: Planted Angelfish/Swordtail Tank|20 Gallon Long: "Nano" non-reef|10 Gallon: frog and mosquito fish
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I voted xp3 also, though I am running Fluvals at the moment, first ones I've tried. I used AC filters for a long time, but recently switched to cannisters. Learned about them on this forum! First on one tank, then on all my tanks. You can fit alot more filter media in a cannister, you can inject C02 directly through it, you can do that with an AC filter as well but it's way more effective through a cannister. Lastly, you can easily adjust the amount of surface aggitation you get by lowering or raising the filter output, plus you can direct the current easy by aiming the output wherever you want more flow in the tank. Love my cannisters, the water is crystal clear as well.
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
go for the XP3
Shelby_Tempo_GT is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 75 gallon, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com