filtration overkill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jock7575

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,i have a 40 litre tank with 3 small goldfish (I know its small but will be upgrading soon):whistle: I want to replace my old filter to a new fluval u2.I wonder if this filter will be too powerful? is there such a thing as filtration overkill?

I don't think you can really go overkill with goldfish, within reason. Example: a Fluval Fx6 is way overkill for even a 75 gallon tank unless it's like an Oscar.

Goldfish are messy eaters. Good filtration is essential for their water quality. So you need high filtration just not obvious overkill like the example above.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I don't think you can really go overkill with goldfish, within reason. Example: a Fluval Fx6 is way overkill for even a 75 gallon tank unless it's like an Oscar.

Goldfish are messy eaters. Good filtration is essential for their water quality. So you need high filtration just not obvious overkill like the example above.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Thanks caleb

I don't think there is any such thing as filtration overkill, period. I have a 528GPH canister rated for 200gal on a 27gallon tank, lightly stocked. Water is so crystal clear it looks like the fish are floating :)

-Golfer

I don't think there is any such thing as filtration overkill, period. I have a 528GPH canister rated for 200gal on a 27gallon tank, lightly stocked. Water is so crystal clear it looks like the fish are floating :)

-Golfer

See that just sounds like overkill to me. It's completely unnecessary other than the satisfaction. A canister at half that would still give crystal clear water.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

-Golfer

Cheers golfer I think I'll get the u2.. heard good things about it

See that just sounds like overkill to me. It's completely unnecessary other than the satisfaction. A canister at half that would still give crystal clear water.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Here's my thought: $80 for a canister that will be dead silent and do the job with periodic maintenance and fantastic results.. I'm all in. I bought a very similar one for my 36g bow (brackish puffers).

I also like it for the flexibleness it gives me.. I had 2 fish die on me (got killed by a big albino BN pleco) and saw no ammonia or nitrite spike.

For me, it's worth it. For others, that's your decision :)

Back
Top Bottom