Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ran a related thread a few days ago, but have one follow up. I'm moving from a 55 gallon to a 125 gallon, and I'm pretty clear on everything except:

Is 700 gallons per hour (2 magnum 350's) enough filtration for a 125 gallon with:
3-4 south american cichlids
1 pleco
1 red-tailed shark (he's sneaky...)

I really like canisters more than hang-on filters... thanks for your advice!

That would leave you with a 5.6x turnover, which is a little on the lower side for water movement. Once you get everything setup, you might want to add a power head to the tank to clear up any dead spots of water circulation. Dead spots can end up as algae problems pretty easily and decrease water quality. You should be OK though, that is not many fish at all for a 125.

Do you plan on adding more fish to the tank soon? Something like a Aquaclear 500 would help a lot when you start filling up the tank, and get you up to a 9.6x turnover rate. An Aquaclear 500 or other strong HOB filter might not cost much more than a good power head depending on where you order. Having a HOB filter gives you an easy way to add carbon to the tank and stuff if you need to.

Thaiboxer, I read your other thread so I know what is going on. I would also advise on HOB such as Emperor 400 - very good, silent, and low-profile filter that is barely seen behind your light strip. it is very quiet and powerful and has 2 bio-wheels, 2 huge cartridges and 2 media baskets. Bigalsonline will sell you one for $39. It is cheaper than anywhere. Of course if you do not like HOB then no advise on one will convince you to get it.

I guess my biggest beef with the HOB filter is having it stick out. If it's low profile and hides behind the lights, I guess I could deal with it. I've always wondered, also, about water movement left to right. With an HOB, isn't the intake right by the return?

Hopefully that makes sense... does an HOB agitate the water enough? I guess I always figured they're just sucking up the same water they just spit out. Maybe I'm silly on this, but that's just how it looks :)

I looked at the Emporers and they seem VERY reasonable. I'll also check prices on the Aquaclear 500, it sounds like overkill - whick I like ;-)

I will probably add 1-2 more SA cichlids after the tank move.

Would a silver arrowana survive in this tank? I think they're super cool.

Thank you again!

I'm with you on this too Thai boxer. I've got bio wheels on most of my tanks and they do anexcellent job. But I prefer the low profile of the cannisters. The knock on the cannisters is in ease of cleaning. IMO you are fine with another cannister. Let me suggest the Fluval 404. It's a snap to clean.

"I guess my biggest beef with the HOB filter is having it stick out. If it's low profile and hides behind the lights, I guess I could deal with it."

The Aquaclears have a very low profile. I can not see mine at all behind the strip lights on either of my tanks. They rise about one inch about the top rim of the tank. The Bio Wheel filters can be pretty noticable with the wheel sticking up and everything. Depending on how the tank is setup, this may or may not be an issue.

"I've always wondered, also, about water movement left to right. With an HOB, isn't the intake right by the return?

Hopefully that makes sense... does an HOB agitate the water enough? I guess I always figured they're just sucking up the same water they just spit out. Maybe I'm silly on this, but that's just how it looks"

The water goes down and out of the power filters, not just down right by the intake tube. Water from my HOBs makes it to the front glass of the tanks and then flows around from there. You do not have to worry about not mixing up the surface enough, or not moving around enough water.

I checked pricing on Big Als, and the Aquaclear is very reasonable. I'll probably run my current Magnum 350 and get an Aquaclear 500, that'd give me the whole aquarium moving through the filter 6.8 times per hour - realistically a little more because of the volume displaced by rocks, gravel, etc.

Thanks for your advice on this!

once i got the xp3 and emp. 400 on the 55, i have never seen my tank so clear... with that xp3 i have some diff. material that has really made improvements... xp3's would be a good decision for that tank also.

As far as Emperor, you cannot see it behind the light. As far as I know, the Aquaclear does not have bio-wheels. Emperor adds this huge benefit, but of course you have the canister for that. Emperor also comes with long intake extension that you will use to lower the intake all the way down. The water from bio-wheel trickles down to this little tray inside water and bounces from it going across the surface.

christerrell2k3: what is XP3?

wow, a Rena Filstar Xp3 on a 55gallon? that seems like overkill, since i've got the Xp2 on my 75gallon ;)

That Aquaclear 500 sounds like a really good deal. Less than $30 on Big Als, and that's a lot of filter. I'll probably go that route.

Is there an ideal amount of filtration on a big tank? I've heard 6-7x your volume is good, but is there an official amount? That's my last filtration question, I promise :)

It varies by the tank really. This is just one of those things where it depends on the situation. Usually people try to get a freshwater aquariums somewhere around 10x to ensure that the water is getting around sufficiently. You can get by with less as long as there is good circulation and not a heavy bioload, and you can do fine with more of the fish like the current. A Magnum 350 and a AC500 should be good for your setup. I would put the AC500 in the middle, and the Magnum intake and outlet hoses on opposite sides of the tank. Adding another filter later is quite easy, if you feel the combination is not enough.

Having extra filtration it just one of those things that does not hurt, and can help quite a bit to keep the water clear and safe for a long time.

I love my Oscars also but captinGregor your right they are PIGS!
Messy pigs.
But the filtration I have keeps the tank crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom