Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stigmata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gal. tank. I have a cascade 400 & 300,which are internan by Penn-Plax, also a Whisper Flow 5-20 so far. I do 20% water changes once a week, pond fish are dirty. Am I doing okay with my filters? I was going to add another cascade 400 in a week or so. What do you think?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I meant the 400 & 300 were internal by PENN-PLAX.

For a 50g I would suggest a minimum filtration flow rate of roughly 300gph, ideally you should shoot for a flow rate of 500gph. The internals you are using have a combined rate of 180 I am not familiar with your whisperflow however so will have to check its gph and see if the combined total will meet your needs.

Tank Filtration

I have a 50 gal. tank. I have a cascade 400 & 300,which are internan by Penn-Plax, also a Whisper Flow 5-20 so far. I do 20% water changes once a week, pond fish are dirty. Am I doing okay with my filters? I was going to add another cascade 400 in a week or so. What do you think?

Hello Stig...

The filtration system doesn't really keep the tank water pure. It only takes in toxic water and returns the water a little less toxic. The water changes you perform is the real filtration. The water change removes the toxic water and replaces it with pure water.

Your filter system just needs a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. So, if it has a 200 gph, this is enough to support the tank.

Larger tanks need larger water changes to be healthy. You need to remove and replace half the water every 2 weeks. Do this, and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

With 4 Common Goldfish and a Pleco in a 50g I would recommend either a Canister and a large HOB or 2 HOBs. I'm not a fan of internal filters usually.

How big are the fish currently ?

I usually advise 50% PWCs weekly for Goldfish. They are quite messy.

Are your water tests showing safe levels of Ammonia and Nitrates ?

Can you post a pic of the tank ?

That's great you are adding filtration, but you may want to try a different one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like this
AquaClear 110 HOB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000260FV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397227153&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

For canister filters ? I own Eheim.
Eheims are solid filters and last for years. You can find them used.

Sunsun are a knockoff that seem to work just fine. I hear good things. eBay or Amazon carry them.

I think 1 or 2 filters designed for a 100g tank would handle your potential bioload better than a bunch of little filters AFAIK. I think it will save you a lot of hassle.

Do you have a pond for the Goldfish as they put on size ?

Spotted Pleco ? Is that a Sailfin ? They can hit about a foot and a half.
Will need a massive tank or heated pond later.

If you are enjoying the Goldfish you could switch to 3 Fancies once you move the pond fish out and the Pleco out. The Fancies should be alright in a 50g.

If you don't have one a Python Water Change System can really save you time and save your back ;)

Enjoy your fish :)

I want to try the Fluval internal. My fish are like my kids. I have a Fluval in my 10gal, where I keep my 2 Black/White skirted tetras, and it stays crystal clean. I not that experienced, but Fluval has shown its great performance to me.

I have pictures in my profile of both of my tanks. Why don't you like internal filters? I would like to know cause I might be missing something friend! Thanks.

Is it okay to use my vacuum every other day cause my goldfish and pleco are filthy, God Bless them. That ends up being close to a 20% water change after vacuuming the tank. Is that okay?

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously you have been through the cycle and I appreciate your advice and foresight. I'm not that into fancy goldfish, but I'll make sure my next pick will stay comfy in a 50gal. My Respect & Regards,
Mike.

I just checked out some cannister filters for my 50gal. I have common goldfish 3" to 7" and a foot long spotted pleco, they were all an inch when purchased! Anyway, cannister filters are rad and Marineland makes a H.O.T. model I'm in love with. Thanks for the heads up!!

I have pictures in my profile of both of my tanks. Why don't you like internal filters? I would like to know cause I might be missing something friend! Thanks.

I like all my internal space to be for fish and plants. Plus I like to hide my equipment. Plus most internal filters aren't that strong. Sponge filters are great for fry tanks and special projects. But my filters are hidden by my background.

A weekly water change of 20% on a tank like that is negligible. As already mentioned, the filters are nitrate factories, that make the water less toxic. I can't imagine that tank being healthy with less than a weekly 50% change. You can vacuum the tank daily to get rid of the solid waste. That will help slow the rise of nitrates.

At least 50 % a week. I would do 50-75% water change twice a week if it were my tank. That pleco alone stocks that tank full. If not slightly over. Get yourself API master test kit and you'll see just how high your nitrates are. I 100% guarantee they are off the charts and at lethal levels with that little of a water change sched.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Is it okay to use my vacuum every other day cause my goldfish and pleco are filthy, God Bless them. That ends up being close to a 20% water change after vacuuming the tank. Is that okay?

Change water as needed. Daily is even fine. Just remember to use Prime or other conditioner.

But you should reduce fish numbers in that tank soon. If the Pleco ever panics your GF will be damaged.

Water changes won't make the tank bigger. I'd rehome or upgrade them now. Otherwise keeping those kinds of fish in too small a tank , just shortens their lifespan.

Plecos 20+ yrs w proper care

Common GF 20+ years. Record is over 40 years. Record size was 18" if I remember right.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_74/goldfish-size-life-expectancy.htm

It's great that you are trying to keep them clean.

Back
Top Bottom