Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a H.O.T. Magnum Compact Hang-On Tank Filter by Marineland for my 26 gallon long tank and I feel the current is way to strong.

img_264779_0_947f157e8b0b71463d0cee0cfa9125f7.jpg

Is there some way I can slow the current down without inhabiting the filtration system?

Someone suggested stuffing a sponge or floss in the intake tube, but I've noticed it gets clogged quite often. TIA. :D

That's a good idea, but where could I buy something like that :?: :?: I have looked online, but haven't been able to find anything.

Hi Fawn. The question I have is why you feel the current is too strong? It may not be. A strong current can be beneficial as it reduces the amount of dead spots in your tank. Are your fish complaining? *LOL*

That's a good question Brian. Lets see, my school of danios don't seem to have a problem swimming near the flow, but I did notice the following with my female Krib.

When she would venture out from the cave, she would not really be swimming and it looked like she was constantly flapping those fins. When I noticed that, I added a sponge in the intake tube and slowed the flow down and she now swims all over the tank with ease.

But now it looks like I have my first spawning and was worried about her eggs. Any suggestions?

sticking a sponge over the intake will keep the little ones from getting into the filter and it will probably calm your flow a bit.

Thanks Rubysoho,

That seems to work, but I am cleaning the intake everyday because it cloggs. There's got to be an easier way and if I could find a spraybar, that would solve my problem, right?

FWIW I use a sponge prefilter on all my cannisters. IMO it keeps the filter from clogging, but the prefilter has to be cleaned regularly.

I'm not sure if a spray bar is made for that filter but you could try making one yourself using the correct diameter silicon tubing. Crimp one end closed and drill enough small holes in it to allow for the output. Just a thought.

There is a biowheel attachment for the HOT magnum. Not only would it increase your biological filtration but it would also slow down the water output as its a much broader stream.

Back
Top Bottom