Filtration Question on Hex Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling a 20 gallon hex tank with a build for a nano reef. For mechanical filtration I am running an Aquamaxx HOB 1 Protein Skimmer (https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/h...er-aquamaxx/?gclid=CP65qKy7l84CFYKFaQodg1QC6A) It's running well, but my concern is in the event of need for any type of chemical filtration, I am not sure where to put that. Rim space for any type of "in tank" or HOB equipment on a small hex is very limited There are small media reactors available, but don't want to take up excess room inside the tank. What is everyone's thoughts about adding a small canister for chemical filtration purposes? I am very dedicated to keep filter systems clean to avoid nitrates. Would really like advice please!

Attachments

• Reef Equipment.jpg
    Reef Equipment.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 92
I found that eshopps makes some really small overflows, but I need to build the sump. I've never made one before so it's new to me. I would be worried about overflowing something (tank or sump) in the event of a siphon break our power outage since the system is small. So you think a small canister is just out right?

Check out the king of diy on you tube. He goes through all of that. Drilling the tank, or building your own overflow to sump design. And the why's and how it works.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HEX

Did you make your hood/cover for the 20 hex? I resealed a hex that was made in 1985 and am too cheap to spend $60+ for a new top. I do not have any glass shops nearby (almost 100 miles) and am not brave enough to try to cut glass for a hex. I think acrylic is even more expensive. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Melanie

Did you make your hood/cover for the 20 hex? I resealed a hex that was made in 1985 and am too cheap to spend $60+ for a new top. I do not have any glass shops nearby (almost 100 miles) and am not brave enough to try to cut glass for a hex. I think acrylic is even more expensive. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Melanie

I have a really good local LFS in town and I know everyone down there. They measured and cut it for me at a local glass shop. Not gonna lie, it was a tricky cut even for them, but well worth the trouble for sure. Is yours a 20 gallon hex? Each panel on mine measures 8 3/4 on the inner rim (the lip where the lid sits). Another idea, is if it is the same size tank, maybe my LFS could cut another one and ship it, since they are familiar with it? Honestly, I forget now what they charged me (in the $20-25 range). Not committing them as I know not every company likes to ship glass like that, but it's a idea if you are willing to pay the shipping. Of course by then you may be at $60, but what I have is excellent and they used really sturdy glass too. I would also be happy to measure for you and take some close up photos and post them if that would help!

Thanks - and yes. A 20 gallon hex with the same measurements. We have had a glass store here in my small town for MANY years so I thought this would be a breeze. I did not however know that the owner had health issues and retired and the store is closed. I have drawn up a diagram with measurements and will check with a glass store in the city next week when I am down there. I bought a hinge and a handle so have those parts. Can you snap a photo of the top for me? Anything you would ahve done different? THANKS again - I appreciate it.

Thanks - and yes. A 20 gallon hex with the same measurements. We have had a glass store here in my small town for MANY years so I thought this would be a breeze. I did not however know that the owner had health issues and retired and the store is closed. I have drawn up a diagram with measurements and will check with a glass store in the city next week when I am down there. I bought a hinge and a handle so have those parts. Can you snap a photo of the top for me? Anything you would ahve done different? THANKS again - I appreciate it.

Here is the pic. The plastic strip at the back on the left side is notched out in the back to make room for a mini canister filter than I ended up not using. The plastic strip on the back is two inches from the back to allow for equipment. I hope this helps! I am thrilled with how it worked out! Hopefully you can obtain the same thing!

Attachments

• Glass Top.jpg
    Glass Top.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 80

Here is the pic. The plastic strip at the back on the left side is notched out in the back to make room for a mini canister filter than I ended up not using. The plastic strip on the back is two inches from the back to allow for equipment. I hope this helps! I am thrilled with how it worked out! Hopefully you can obtain the same thing!

Here is a diagram with as close of measurements as I could ascertain.

Attachments

• Hex Top Diagram.png
    Hex Top Diagram.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 69
Good news is I found a glass place and should be able to pick up my glass pieces on Monday. Sad news is it cost $44. Yikes, it better fit and look perfect!

Thanks again for the diagram.
Melanie

If it's not a perfect fit, I am sure they can work it right. I took my actually aquarium to them. You might want to consider that too so they can adjust the fit for it if needed.

Well it's set up w fish and a 90 mile drive so hope there are no issues!

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol! No kidding! Makes sense. If it works out I would love to see a pic of your set up and new lid!

Back
Top Bottom