Filtration selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNewGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently working out plans for a tank change on my 135g.

I have almost everything set to go. I know what lighting I'm going to use. I just picked up eco complete for my substrate but I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my filtration.

I currently have a magnum 350 pro. I like it, but I know it's not enough. I would either like to add another canister (don't know what brand) or switch to a wet dry using the 350 pro for a diatom filter and for the occasional gravel clean up. if I use the wet dry idea I'm going to setup a fuge like system in it with a anacharis farm on reverse lighting for nitrate removal. If anyone has other ideas or opinions on these ideas I would love to hear them.

My only concern with a wet/dry is all the dripping, spalshing, turbulence in the system. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that would drive off your co2, just like the surface turbulence we all try to avoid in planted tanks. I'm assuming you will have pressurized co2 for a tank that size.

IMO, either a really big cannister filter, or 2 smaller ones, but I may not be the best person for advice on this.

Folks around here like the rena filstars a lot, I don't have one. I love my Eheim, but eheims are pricey. Some others are big Fluval fans, but I had an old one that I hated. They are prolly much better now, but I'll never find out for myself.

What are the measurements of your 135?

I was recently offered a used one and don't know its diamentions.

but, If nothing else.. you could run dual emporer 400 filters on it, in conjunction with your canister

eheims are the -subjectively- the best, but i've head many bad things about getting parts for them (price and availability.) that took them out of the running for me. the decision came down to the xp-3. this was based on several suggestions here on the board, but the lfs in my family had one running a clownfish breeding tank. checking it out in person really helped, plus it reassured me that if it's good enough to be in this particular store, it's good enough for me. the price was excellent too...$97.98 total for such a nice filter is hard to beat.

the xp-3 could handle your tank, but i think 135 is its limit. two of the xp-2 filters would work fine.

how much live planting is going to be in the tank?

I second the XP3. But instead of two XP2s, get two XP3s. You'll have loads of room for all kinds of media with two XP3s and the cost differential isn't that much via BIG ALS. I have two of the XPs and love them!

to be honest this tank will probably get over planted just like everything else that I do. hehehe at least I'm honest.

actually betowess, i bought my xp-3 through Dr. F&S b/c it was $11 less than Big Als. i should have it sometime this coming week.

just an update..

when i came home a little while ago, the Dr. F&S box was sitting against my garage. i've already taken the filter out, disassembled it complete, then put it all back together. this thing has a HUGE amount of space for filter media and is so easy to take apart and put back together. highly recommended so far, but i can't give it a final thumbs up or down just yet...

Why not try the Ocean Clear canister filter and a pump?
Thats what will go on my 180ga Oscar tank.
I've heard great things about this filter and it was recommended by my LFS.

The Model 340 is rated for a 100-266g tank and uses a pump rated at 800-1600gph.
Has 40sq. ft. of surface area.
50 sq. ft. of polystranded Bio-Core in center for bio-filtration.

Yeah, you got it on sale Mr. Burns. You could have saved 5% on that price with Big Als Lowest price guarantee...

Our ‘Lowest Price Policy ’ guarantees that you won't find lower prices anywhere else. If you do find the same product sold anywhere online for less, we won't just match the price — we'll beat it by 5%!

Tit for Tat :twisted:

crap! :?

i don't feel so bad...i spent a lot less and got a lot more than i was expecting, so i'm very pleased. even though i spent more than what i could have on the filter, i'll save a huge amount on the plants, fish, and eco-complete. i'm getting very antsy now. damn this ohio valley weather -- WARM UP!!! construction needs to start soon or else i'm just going to start breaking things... :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom