Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Final upgrade

As you all know from my thread I upgraded from 90 to 125. The last think I would like to change is my sump. Yesterday I went to LFS and I think that tank would be good. It is 40gal. 48-12-16. I draw what I want. I think it will be o.k. The only question is the baffles. How many and where I should glue them? Can you guys tell me? Where, how high and all what I need to know. thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Have a look at Melevsreef for some designs.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm into this hobby over 6 years but sometimes i feel like I'm new. My old 90gal.came with sump from my LFS. It was the package. Sump was 24/12/16. I think it is 20gal. Simple just 1 baffle in the middle with 2" space from the bottom. so the level in sump was the same in all lengh.So when I was loosing water thru evaporation I had a lot of tolerance. Yea the salnity would go up but I could go from 8" to 2" of water level. Now I see thouse design and I do not understend. When you have first baffle like 9" high from the bottom up, water has to go over that. What happen if the water level goes down thru evaporation? How that water goes over? Will it take more water from the tank to the point there will be no water drain thru overflow? I know it is stupid question but can somebody explain this to me? As I understend water must be all the time over that baffle, like 2",3" so it can go down but still over first baffle. Is that right? Please let me know.Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The evaporation occurs in the last (return) section. If you don't top off for the evaporation you run the pump dry. I've come close a few times when my top off water container became empty. This design makes sure that the skimmer is always in the same water level.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com