Final upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you all know from my thread I upgraded from 90 to 125. The last think I would like to change is my sump. Yesterday I went to LFS and I think that tank would be good. It is 40gal. 48-12-16. I draw what I want. I think it will be o.k. The only question is the baffles. How many and where I should glue them? Can you guys tell me? Where, how high and all what I need to know. thanks.

I'm into this hobby over 6 years but sometimes i feel like I'm new. My old 90gal.came with sump from my LFS. It was the package. Sump was 24/12/16. I think it is 20gal. Simple just 1 baffle in the middle with 2" space from the bottom. so the level in sump was the same in all lengh.So when I was loosing water thru evaporation I had a lot of tolerance. Yea the salnity would go up but I could go from 8" to 2" of water level. Now I see thouse design and I do not understend. When you have first baffle like 9" high from the bottom up, water has to go over that. What happen if the water level goes down thru evaporation? How that water goes over? Will it take more water from the tank to the point there will be no water drain thru overflow? I know it is stupid question but can somebody explain this to me? As I understend water must be all the time over that baffle, like 2",3" so it can go down but still over first baffle. Is that right? Please let me know.Thanks.

The evaporation occurs in the last (return) section. If you don't top off for the evaporation you run the pump dry. I've come close a few times when my top off water container became empty. This design makes sure that the skimmer is always in the same water level.

Back
Top Bottom