Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Russell!

That helps a lot. It makes things easier. Based on your comments I'll add amonia remover from the begining and also some rocks from a 5 gallon tank I have. That should speed up the process I hope. Now I am going shoping for water cond.

Thanks again for all your feedback
Fish

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpez View Post
Thanks Russell!

That helps a lot. It makes things easier. Based on your comments I'll add amonia remover from the begining and also some rocks from a 5 gallon tank I have. That should speed up the process I hope. Now I am going shoping for water cond.

Thanks again for all your feedback
Fish
You're welcome. For the record, Prime is a water conditioner (chlorine and chloramine remover), ammonia detoxifier and nitrite detoxifier all in one. While it certainly isn't a substitute for water changes, it's hard for me to imagine fish-in cycling a freshwater tank without it.

Best!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again!
So how soon can I put my 5 gallon fish into the new tank after treating the water with prime?
Should I also use most of the 5 gallon tank water in the new tank? Or just the rocks will do?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpez View Post
Thanks again!
So how soon can I put my 5 gallon fish into the new tank after treating the water with prime?
Should I also use most of the 5 gallon tank water in the new tank? Or just the rocks will do?
Prime (and all other dechlorinators) work pretty much instantaneously, so the water will be dechlorinated within just a few moments.

You can move the water if you choose, but beneficial bacteria generally don't reside in the water but rather adhere themselves to the substrate, decorations, filter media, etc..

The rocks as well as any plants, decorations, or substrate will help as there will likely be some bacteria on them, but if your 5 gallon is cycled, moving the filter media (or the whole filter) over to the larger tank will give your new tank the biggest jump-start in terms of cycling. You can run it concurrently with whatever filter you have planned for the larger tank and it will slowly seed the larger filter with bacteria, while still providing filtration itself.

If you can, I'd run them concurrently for about a month, but then, your new filter should be fairly well seeded. Of course, you can run them concurrently indefinitely if you choose.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great! Thats an excellent idea or suggestion. I will definitely do that.
Thanks a million

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com