Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Finaly got a new tank 80g need your advise

I just got a used 80g tank. Came with a 20g sump tank but no pump.
The tank has an overflow and the plumbing seems to be complete. Any suggestions on pump type, brand and GPH?
Filter media?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello.

How many inches wide is the return line?
How far away is the return pump location from the spot where the water enters the display tank? Also how many elbows?

Pics of your system will help a lot.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Terrance,

The return pipe is a 1.25" ID.
The the tank is 30" high and the IN line is about 45" above the pump. There are no elbows. The out line goes straight down to the sump and the IN line is a flexible clear hose 1" ID.
I am attaching a picture. Today I ordered a Marineland 3000 which pumps 770 GPH for 58 bucks. I hope I didnt screwed it up.
Please let me know thoughts.

Thanks,
The fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1506855445.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	102913  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nice tank, btw if I were you I will get the Danner Mag-7 (700GPH), it's quality built. I have a Danner Mag-5 attached to my new Remora Pro-S skimmer.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks CF,

I think it's too late to cancel my order, but I'll consider your suggestion in the future if this one doesnt last.
About filter media, is there a rule I should follow? This will be a fresh water tank

Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpez
Thanks CF,

I think it's too late to cancel my order, but I'll consider your suggestion in the future if this one doesnt last.
About filter media, is there a rule I should follow? This will be a fresh water tank

Thanks
Hopefully your new pump will be ok. You can use any kind of media. There is no general rule, but you should not spend a lot either. I paid $100 for 5g of Pond Matrix. I overdid my media for my sump. At least i have seeding media -_-
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks! I think I am starting with 4lbs of carbon, amonia chips and some bio balls and ceramic rings. Lol, sounds like a salad!
Next debate, water!
Should I use my RO filter and take foreever to fill it?
Or tap water and treat it?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry i forgot to mention this: dont buy products that you need to replace. The carbon is good, but water changes are better. If you use the ammonia chips, then you will have to use it forever without problems. If you stop, then you run into a mini cycle but its easy to fix.

Most important thing you can do for your tank is the weekly water changes. You can get it straight from the tap. RO water isn't worth it in freshwater systems.

I cant imagine you spending more than $40 for biological media. Dont get the bioballs unless you have a trickle system. They dont work well submerged.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Terrance,

In that case, I'll leave the bio balls out. What should I treat the tap water with? Since I'll be using tap I am sure I'll want to keep the minerals on it. Should be good for the plants. Will tap water take longer to cycle?

Fish
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpez View Post
Thanks Terrance,

In that case, I'll leave the bio balls out. What should I treat the tap water with? Since I'll be using tap I am sure I'll want to keep the minerals on it. Should be good for the plants. Will tap water take longer to cycle?

Fish
As far as treating the tap water, any water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine should do the trick. During cycling, though, you might consider using Prime as it helps to detoxify any ammonia and/or nitrite that might build up while your biological filter is establishing itself. I'd continue to use Prime if your tap water contains ammonia (some tap water does), as this should detoxify it long enough for your biological filter to clear it from the tank.

You're right about the minerals / buffers in tap water being good for not only the plants, but the fish too -- and I do not see any reason why conditioned tap water would take any longer to cycle.

Best!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com