Finding the right protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've spent several hours looking for a protein skimmer for my SW tank. I've read around a lot and can't seem to find any definitive answer as to what is the best type or brand to get, and not many of them give dimensions, since I have a limited amount of space in my sump to put it in.

The sump has a constant water level of about 14", and the footprint needs to be 6" by 8" at the most. It looks like most skimmers that are rated for 180-gallon systems are bigger than this? I'd rather not do a hang-on-back skimmer if I don't have to.

Are there any good brands or types or anything I can use? I just haven't found anything that I know will actually work here...

Is thee such a thing as a protein skimmer that's small enough to fit underneath my tank stand? They are all at least 20" high, and I only have 18" to work with, and even that's being generous... Where does everybody put their protein skimmers?!

Oddly enough (or not) I have the same issue with a small area underneath my tank stand limiting my options for a sump with a protein skimmer.
And my HOB options are limited due to space as well. Carey is correct, aquacave does show pretty comprehensive specs including dimensions for their wet dry filters / refugiums / sumps.

I am exploring options and will post to this thread if I come up with a solution.
My bet is others here will beat me to it!

:)

Back
Top Bottom