Finnex 24/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! I bought a used aquarium today that came with this light. It is not responding got he remote. The remote is throwing off a signal but the light is not picking it up. Any suggestions On how to fix?

First thing I would try is a fresh battery (I know you mentioned it is sending a signal). Recently had the same issue.
If a new battery does not work, you might be out of luck. Mine had a faulty IR receiver; was sketchy from the get go; no very responsive. Since it was still under warranty the repair was free (shipped off to the company for a week or two). Not sure how they would handle it out of warranty (assuming it is). You could try contacting Finnex and see if they can do anything for you.

I have one of my three that has gone bad.
It won't work with any of the other 2 remotes or power sources.
I like the light as a supplement on the 24/7 mode to stronger lighting used on a timer. But not if they don't last longer then 2 years.
Still on the fence with my other two .I hope they last...

Fresh2o you were right on the money a fresh battery solved the issue. Next question if you can help. This light is setup on a 20 gal long, I'm gonna crack open my old pressurized c02 system again to put on the tank. I'm planning on having some swords and water wasteria. Would this light be good enough for these plants?

Fresh2o you were right on the money a fresh battery solved the issue. Next question if you can help. This light is setup on a 20 gal long, I'm gonna crack open my old pressurized c02 system again to put on the tank. I'm planning on having some swords and water wasteria. Would this light be good enough for these plants?

It's easily enough light for those plants. I have an older Planted Plus (not the 24/7 model), and my plants in a 20-long go nuts. You'll want to limit the hours you run your lights, though, to limit algae. Maybe just six hours at the start, and then ramp up from there. I think you're find the water wisteria will grow like a weed, especially with CO2.

The first one I got had the same issue. Luckily it was an Amazon exchange.

For those plants I would either dim the lighting or reduce the photoperiod (as mentioned above). More than enough light from that fixture on that tank depth.

Awesome thanks. If i run this light pressurized co2 and dose flourish and have the osmocote plus tabs do you think the plants will thrive/grow well? Anyt hing I'm missing?

I’m assuming you mean Seachem Flourish Comprehensive? Plants should thrive. The only other thing you might consider is adding API Leaf Zone. It supplies some nutrients that the Comprehensive does not.

I"ll be the odd one out here and say go full bore with the light.... I love growing "easy" or "low light" plants under high light, CO2 and lots of ferts... Once you find a balance between these, algae shouldn't be too much of an issue, and you'll almost be able to watch that sword push out a new leaf in real time ;)

But.... I would do what the others stated, start out slow and slowly ramp it up, or else you will likely end up with an algae farm.

Is the 24/7 feature any good for growing plants? Should I just crank it to full brightness and put it on a timer with my co2?

The original 24/7 had tons of problems with the remote and sensor, regardless of the remote battery status. They fixed that in the SE and CC models.
The Finnex site has PAR value charts for this light. My 30” light gives 60 PAR at 18” of depth, on MAX. I allow the default cycle from 5pm to 8pm, and run MAX during the day, but no CO2 for me.

The original 24/7 had tons of problems with the remote and sensor, regardless of the remote battery status. They fixed that in the SE and CC models.
The Finnex site has PAR value charts for this light. My 30” light gives 60 PAR at 18” of depth, on MAX. I allow the default cycle from 5pm to 8pm, and run MAX during the day, but no CO2 for me.

The data on finnex's site is through open air. Through water you can achieve 60 PAR @ 14", only directly under the very center of the light spread.

The data on finnex's site is through open air. Through water you can achieve 60 PAR @ 14", only directly under the very center of the light spread.

Very useful to know. Did you measure that with your own meter, or can you point me to a better chart? I’m shining through 3 inches of air and 18 of water.

Very useful to know. Did you measure that with your own meter, or can you point me to a better chart? I’m shining through 3 inches of air and 18 of water.

Cory from aquarium coop (youtube) does a lot of good testing on PAR data for various fixtures, that is why I went with my Fluval fresh and plant 2.0, I have good spread and up to 130 PAR @ 12-14". Well.... that plus 3 year warranty, 100% water proof and great customer service located in my own country.

Back
Top Bottom