Finnex RayII Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeepGuy91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, Im in the process of getting my planted tank up to speed. I'm still figuring out how PAR's work and was wondering if ya'll could help me out. I currently have a 75g (48x18x18) and have one 48'' RayII light (rated at 39 watts). Was wondering if this is considered "high output or not as I cant read the graphs well. Heres a chart I found for the lights...

It would explain why I'm having algae and diatom issues since I wont be receiving my C02 rig until later this week. Im currently running a ghetto DIY setup with baking soda and citric acid. lol

I'm trying to carpet my tank with DBT so a high light output is what I'm trying to acheive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am including the PAR chart for a 48" Ray2:
62786-albums12397-picture70067.jpg

Based on this chart, the PAR will be 73 at 18" which is at the higher end of medium light. Without a decent, consistent CO2 supply, your tank will be an algae jungle. Is this enough light for growing DBT? IMO, yes assuming the CO2 and ferts are in great supply.
I tried DBT (HC Cuba) for a few months and all but given up on it. Would not stay rooted, even while super glued to stainless steel mesh. I do have a small clump glued to some DW and its doing fine. IT is even growing in a few terrariums I own. But I could not pull off a carpet with it. I am running 2 Finnex fixtures on separate times which deliver 65 PAR for 5 hours, ~110 PAR for 2 hours, and 45 PAR for 2 hours; pressurized CO2, PPS-Pro ferts.

Thanks for the info, I ordered the dr foster and smith auto c02 system so hopefully the money will be well spent! My DBT have stayed the same size for about 2 weeks, pretty frusturating. But yeah I plan on keeping certain patches of algae that airnt easily seen in the tank just to make more competition for nutrients once the c02 is added. If all else fails I hear dwarf hair grass is much easier to get to get going.

Back
Top Bottom