Fire hazards from MH lights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for any info on this, mainly to quell my wife's concerns. She is concerned about having a 175watt MH turning on when we're not at home. I tell her that its just as safe as having any other light or appliance run when we're not at home but looking for more support for my cause ..TIA

Show her that it is just a bulb in a socket. If this is a manufactured fixture or hood, there is no more chance of problems than a lamp in your home. However, if you have done any DIY, just make sure to show her that your connections are out of the way or waterproof...and that you have accounted for the heat of these bulbs, ballasts (magnetic especially), etc.

This isn't MH specific as much as it is for any lighting or electrical equipment around a fishtank.

Seems to me the most likely source of fire would be something near the lights burning from the heat (i.e. wood hood). Mine is made of wood. I spray-painted the inside of the hood with paint for car exhausts. It's made to withstand temps up to like 500 F.

Back
Top Bottom