First lighting experience.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Nothing special, not going for plants, just wanted something bright and workable to put into a hood i'll eventually be building for the 100gal for display purposes.
Light is a 3x 36w 4ft long shop fluro light i found at a salvage yard for $15 AUD
all it needed was a plug and a lead which I already had on a heavy duty single phase power chord extension from my engineering days. oh and still needs one extra globe.
Shroud is too heavy to have sitting on the glass, but once it's built into a hood an aluminium shroud will be made up for it and fans placed onto the back and sides of the hood, making it lighter and cooler and more appropriate.
Once the hood is built, the three tubes will be staggered and each one on a timer to start on one side then the other lights up and the first switches off, then the last one on, the middle one off. basically to simulated some sort of a day cycle.
Really this is just to show how easy it is for the home DIY'er.

complete unit
img_588465_0_bcf31e38f0bac9859670867d7312ab05.jpg

hole was already there for lead to come out of.
img_588465_1_acbf746d930cf0ca6f2134be579ed4cf.jpg

and it's end effect, running on only two 36w tubes.3
img_588465_2_2b86650da52ba0217d0188128547c541.jpg

btw can't tell that there is 60 fish in there can you...

I bought a 48" stainless steel finish shop light at (gasp) Wal-Mart for $14. I think it looks nicer than the plastic and fake oak stuff made for aquariums.

I am definitely a fan of finding cheaper and better ways to do things.

I bought a 48" stainless steel finish shop light at (gasp) Wal-Mart for $14. I think it looks nicer than the plastic and fake oak stuff made for aquariums.

I did the same thing excepti got mine froma hardware store. I got the lights for only 6 bucks insted of the $24 equvilant from petsmart.

Thats a good find defekt the lighting looks good

does look pretty good, i think i'm gonna go the cheap route myself for my new hood, I thought about a perfecto hood but its 29 bucks for my 10 gallon, so i'm going to buy a glass canopy botton and use the same sahped fixiture I use on my black lights, just put good bulbs in it lol

Back
Top Bottom