Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
First time starting up 180 gal (pic's) -LOUD SIPHONING HELP!

I finally was able to fill the tank with some water to test everything. I noticed the siphoning noise going on in the External Overflows is really LOUD along with the splashing on the one side (right) when it exits into the sump, almost unbearable. Is there anything I can try doing?

I notice its louder on the single drain (right side). I was thinking of maybe going with 1.5" PVC on that side instead, maybe have it split into two 1" drains. Seems like way to much water is trying to come through the single 1" drain causing a lot of noise and splashing. When I reduce the water flow going back up to the tank it gets a lot quieter and smoother but siphoning is still pretty loud.

All input/suggestions is welcome.

Here are a few pic's-

1brent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
In the last photo it looks like the plumbing is of two different diamaters. The left is larger than the right. IN addition the photo directly above it shows air bubbles being blown into the sump from what i am guessing an overflow drain. THe syphoning sound your hearding is the sound of air being pulled in with the water. What can help this is if you install a 'breather' tube down the overflow drains and secure it above the overflow slightly. This will permit air to flow down the tube and lessen the amount of air fighting to go in with the water down the drain.

Secondly you can try to build a durso standpipe in your overflows. This serves a simular purpose.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
Noisy overflow? Flushing noise? Creative solution for you!

OK.. just had the EXACT same problem. Two things I did differently. Mostly since it sounded like someone flushing the toilet in my dining room every couple minutes.

First. Get a ball valve on the return lines near the bottom of the return. I slowly adjusted mine until I didn't have the flushing noise. PLUS it cut back the bubbles as well.

Second. I got creative with filter with a power head part. Flipped it upside down and plugged right into the hole. Played with the valve again until the water was constantly flowing to the TOP of the filter.

NOTE: I've seen some custom builds on the net of folks using 90deg PVC elbows to cut down that noise. Not sure how they do that myself.

HTH - Deric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter_311.jpg (8.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg valve.jpg (17.4 KB, 112 views)
75gal Salt, 18gal Sump, Skimmer, 60lb Live Rock, 90lb Live Sand, 3 Pwrhd, 2x55w Actinic, 2x55w 10k. Guest list: Goby Green Clown, Percula Clown and entire clean up crew.
dscount is offline   Reply With Quote

loud, pic, siphon, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com