First time with a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just got my Hagen Fluval 304 from BigAl's today and spent about an hour setting it up. I had no idea I would be cutting hoses and stuff like that. Its finally all set up and seems to be running great though. It seems like so much more could go wrong with it, I hope it really does filter that much better than a hob.

Not to worry Tony...I had the same experience (I felt like a plumber). You may have noticed...no noise. Also, keep in mind that you can adjust the flow, place whatever media you want in those baskets and it is a wonderful thing.

Just remember, when you do have to clean the pads, rinse them in your tank water. That's about it.

You will be very happy with the canister. When we got ours, James had to cut down the hose also. Now that we have the second one, he hasn't bothered yet to do it. So now we have the output tube farther down in the tank than the other canister. :D :D

Aside from cleaning the impeller and sponges, it'll run flawlessly. And since HOB's should also have impeller and sponge/media cleaning, its really no different...just bigger and more intimidating.

There were 6 places to put media (three big trays each divided in half). I put Biological Media (looked like giant frosted Cheerios) in four and carbon in the other two. I know Carbon is supposed to be unnecessary, but I didn't know what else to put in. I don't really have a problem with any of my water parameters. Just stick with carbon?

Back
Top Bottom