Fish Feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAVE853

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be out of town here for the holidays a couple of times and wanted to leave put an automatic fish feeder on my tank. I've never used an auto fish feeder and was wondering if any one had any advice or could recommend a feeder??

How long will you be gone that you need to cover the feeding?

IME, auto-feeders aren't needed as often as they're used and offer a possible catastrophic point for failure. I've heard of a lot of tanks wiped out by malfunctioning feeders. Most fish can be fine for up to 5-7 days without food. A better bet is to portion off each feeding in a ziploc or pill planner and have someone feed them using that.

Well, not to go against HN1, I'm sure he knows tons more than I do. But, I have an auto feeder that I used to use on one of my tanks when I was still living with my parents. I have my roommate to take care of my babies now when I'm gone. Anyway, I got this one Walmart.com: Penn-Plax: Battery Powered Automatic Fish Feeder,: Fish

If you get one, set it up like a week before you go to make sure the thing is actually working and it's the right amount for your fish. It goes twice a day, so I would put it on the smallest amount. But, then again, I have small fishies.

Reactions: HN1
Well im gonna be gone like 5 days then im gonna be gone like 8 days. My biggest problem is that everyone is going home for xmas so i don't really have any-1 i trust to come by and feed my fishes!

In that case an auto feeder may be the best thing for you. Just get a good one, test it (as Crazy said), and be sparing about how much you load it with total.

Thanks for the point HN1!!

But, like he said, find one that works for you. I like that one, personally, but some people like the digital ones. They get expensive though.

Back
Top Bottom