Fish/Filter for 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treevore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What about this fish list?
School of cardinals (how many can/should I keep to see schooling?)
2 kribs
4 corys
6 platys
possibly 2 clown loaches or a RTS?

Filter choices:
HOT Magnum
Penguin Bio-wheel 170

Anything else? And also, if I can't fit enough cardinals to see schooling, is there another fish that would be a nice addition in place of some of the cardinals? I dont know if this matters, but the cardinals are tank raised. How often/qty of water changes should I do?

Thanks

What kind of water do you have? The Cardinals and Kribs need very soft, acidic water. Keith

True, although they can adapt and live in 7.0 water that isn't too hard. They will now show their best colors though. I would go with at least 6 Cardinals for a good schooling effect. I would also not put the Platys in with them as they do best in harder water with a higher pH (about 7.5). They can also adapt to 7.0 water though. I think the fish you have listed are about all I would want to load a 29 g tank with...not counting the clown loaches. JMO about substituting something for the platys...I'd go with some other small-med tetra or rasbora.
Again, IMO, the Penguin 170 is marginal for a 29. Yes, it will do the job, but just barely. The HOT magnum is a great filter and more than enough for a 29, however it lacks a good biological capability unless you add a Pro 30 Bio Wheel setup to it. I've used this setup for years on a 55 with good results. My choice for a 29 in a hang on filter would be an Emperor 280. I feel these are superior to the Penguins. We have some at the store that have been running trouble free for over 4 years.
As to the water changes, I do about 15% every two weeks on my FW tanks. You could go 20-25% a month if you wanted, but you'll have to add some to make up water to account for evaporation. I think the more frequent changes are better for the fish, but I know many folks who change once a month and have no trouble. Hope this helps some.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom