Fish Mate F14 aquarium fish feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently left for a business trip that lasted for nearly two weeks, and decided to pick up this fish feeder to use while I was gone.

Amazon.com: ANIM F14 FISH MATE FEEDER: Kitchen & Dining

The reason I decided to buy this and not a more conventional one-compartment feeder was:

- I wanted to make sure the automatic feeder wouldn't overfeed the fish. The compartments on this one are pretty small; small enough to be a bit annoying to fill, but also small enough to avoid overfeeding the fish.

- I didn't want to feed them every day. I alternated full and empty compartments in the feeder, with a couple of back-to-back feedings. I did this to further ensure that they wouldn't be overfed.

- I wanted to vary the diet of my fish. I alternated between flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and freeze dried brine shrimp.

- I wanted to occasionally drop either a shrimp pellet or algae wafer in the tank for the ottos, nerite snail, and ghost shrimp. I did break up the algae wafer into three to be sure it wouldn't get jammed in the compartment and not fall in the tank.

- This feeder also has a connection for an air pump to help drive any moisture out of the compartments.

When I returned, there wasn't any leftover food in the tank, and water parameters were where I'd expect them when a water change was missed.

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrItes
40 ppm nitrAtes

If you're gone for less than a week, you don't really need to use an automatic feeder, but if you're gone for up to two weeks, this feeder might interest you.

Back
Top Bottom