Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish Room Start Up

I have gotten so interested in the hobby and have finally gained enough experience (at least so I think) to set up a very small scale fish room. I have all but one of the tanks I need and I have the tank rack just about complete. Just needs a little more wiring and a mount for the top light to be complete. My plan is to have a my 20 high and 3 10 gallons on the bottom. I have 2 20 longs ready for the top. I have two basic (and free!) 4ft dual bulb T8 for lighting. I'm hoping that I'll be able to grow some java moss and maybe some hornwort or guppy grass. Of course I still have my 55 display tank but that isn't what I would call part of my breeding set-up. *Note: all electric runs through a GFI before running into the house so no worries there. I will be running API sponge filters on each tank and heating each one individually (unfortunate). All will be bare bottom tanks without lids. My questions are what brands of heater should I purchase? I'm think some aqueons, but not the pro, the cheaper ones. I also am flustered about an air pump. Would I be better off buying 3 whisper 40's or a piston pump? I need a cheaper one. And a quiet one...the tank rack will be going into my room. Any recommendations? I like to do all my ordering off of Kensfish.com , so if its something they have that's a bonus. All help is appreciated.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Colin, how are you getting on mate. Wow, I think you will be officially addicted now with that set-up....haha. Can't help out but i'd love to see some pictures!!!
You've probably seen it but there's a guy on youtube, sorry can't remember his name but he has a video on setting up a rack of tanks. Sounds like you know what your doing already but it might help you out now or in the future. I know I'm NO help but I really just wanted to subscribe so I don't miss any posts or pics. Best of Luck with it

Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can buy one air pump for the 20 longs and use a splitter as long as the tanks are the same level it will work. the splitters are about 1.50 so its pretty cost effective. im not sure if it will work out that way with the other ones being stacked. what are you planning on breeding? you really only need an airstone in the tank with the fry in it i would get a microbubble one so it doesnt make an extreme current for the little guys.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have 22 tanks set up for breeding angel fish and bristle nose plecos. 3-55 gallon --6-30 gallon 1 75 gallon 6- 20 gallon talls -- and 6 10 gallon. i bought a large air pump and ran 1/2 pvc around the room with air valves every 12 inches. then i hooked my pump to it and ran air line to each tank. also i gives u extra air valves to fill up bags. i wis you was here in colorado i have a great pump for sale. any way pm me if i can assist in any way
Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Hey Colin, how are you getting on mate. Wow, I think you will be officially addicted now with that set-up....haha. Can't help out but i'd love to see some pictures!!!
You've probably seen it but there's a guy on youtube, sorry can't remember his name but he has a video on setting up a rack of tanks. Sounds like you know what your doing already but it might help you out now or in the future. I know I'm NO help but I really just wanted to subscribe so I don't miss any posts or pics. Best of Luck with it
Ted's Fish?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
you can buy one air pump for the 20 longs and use a splitter as long as the tanks are the same level it will work. the splitters are about 1.50 so its pretty cost effective. im not sure if it will work out that way with the other ones being stacked. what are you planning on breeding? you really only need an airstone in the tank with the fry in it i would get a microbubble one so it doesnt make an extreme current for the little guys.
Yes I plan on colony breeding tiger endlers, bn plecos, and some painted fire red shrimp hopefully. I think I have a few splitters, just wasn't sure if one whisper 40 was enough for both. Also, I thought a little current was good?!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh it is ive just had an air pump that was too strong in a 10 g and my molly fry couldnt stop moving haha
Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CcJ23 View Post
Ted's Fish?
No. This guy.......
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guess I should start to revive this thread a little. I painted the rack tonight. I will be putting another coat of paint on the shelves tomorrow to make sure it's thorough. I want to make the shelves as close the waterproof as I can. Should I put down some foam boards under the tanks or will I be ok? The stand is pretty level, and when I get it positioned, I will shim it. I just hope I can get it up the stairs. It's going to be a challenge! Pictures to come soon enough.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got a 30 long today with an under gravel filter, Perfecto hood and light, and an old green EBO Jager 150W heater for $15. I was planning on taking the heater out and reselling everything, but maybe I will keep it, and lose the 10's on the bottom shelf. Everything should fit, I believe. Then I would just takeout the under gravel filter because it will be a bare bottom tank anyways, and ditch the hood. Any input?

Tags
fish, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com