Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2003, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Sum22 Send a message via Yahoo to Sum22
Fish with a fungus questions on filter media

Hey I have a question perhaps someone can help me with. I went to the LFS and took one of my zebra danios with me. I was told that he had a fungus. I was sent home with some fish meds to apply to the tank.

As I was reading the instructions it said to remove the carbon and charcoal filter while you are using this medication. I have a power filter. If I take the filter cartridge out, what is supposed to catch all the gunk while it is out, i.e., uneaten food, algae etc.

Anyone have any suggestion on what I can do so the tank doesnt get totally nasty.

Thanks for the help

Old 06-17-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Buy some filter floss at the LFS or some quilt batting from Wal Mart and stuff it in the filter for mechanical filtration. If you leave the carbon in the filter, it will remove the medication before it can work. You could slit the filter cartridge and shake the carbon out also.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is great advice loganj. I make my own filters as well and only use carbon to polish it or rid it of smell.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right on, thanks for your help Logan.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
VN
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to VN
Hey,
I also make my own filters. The ones that are sold ready-to-go are a lot more expensive on the long run. When I have a situation when I have to use medication, I usually take the whole filter out. Medications for common problems work pretty fast (in 24 -48 hours). I never had problems when the filter ran "empty" for a couple of days. However, it is a great idea to put the filter back withouth the carbon in it for mech. filtration. I'll also do so next time - hopefully I won't need to use medications for a loooong time!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right on I will keep that in mind, The LFS guy said about 4-5 days until the fungus goes away.

I think she got hurt trying to pull a finding nemo stunt by jumping in the filter a couple times about a week ago. When I noticed it had stuff growing on it I took it in to have someone look at. One day of meds and she looks better already.

Thanks for all your help.

Tags
filter, filter media, fungus, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com