Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Fishless Cycling - Water Test

Here are the numbers I recorded using my water test kit.
pH = 7.6
pH High Range = 8.2
NitrIte NO2 = 1.0
Nitrate NO3 = 40
Ammonia = 0
So, correct me if Iím wrong but based on these numbers Iím thinking I need to ADD ammonia. Does anyone know where to get 100% ammonia in Germany? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rob

Rob Mackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure about Deutschland : ) but in the US I picked mine up from a hardware store, it's typically in the cleaning supply section, janitorial strength but its not 100% ammonia. Mine is the standard something like 10% I believe just make sure it doesn't have any dies or added fragrances.

How long has your tank been cycling?

It sounds like you are on your way. The ammo starts to drop, you get trites, trites drop and trates rise and the next day your trites will be gone and the trates will shoot up.

Good luck.

RedFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion
By 100% it means just ammonia and water. The ammonia is 10% of the contents, the rest water. You just don't want the stuff that has surfactant (soap) in it though some will argue that it's ok to use that.

You can also through a raw shrimp into the tank. As it rots it releases ammonia. Sticking it in a mesh bag or some panty hose keeps it from falling apart and getting all over your tank.

And to answer the other question, yeah, you should add some ammonia. You want to keep the bacteria fed. It looks like you are close to the end though since you are getting nitrates so you shouldn't need much ammonia.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The tank has been cycling for three weeks w/o fish.

I am hoping that the tank will be ready for fish soon. But I have no Ammonia to add just yet. I'll look into the shrimp thing and see how that works.

Any other suggestions? Please let me know, I'm totally new at this.
Rob Mackson is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com