Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishneedit??

Are they reliable? I've been told they are good and i will have a mid- light coral tank ( candycane corals the highest light req atm). Just want some more reviews before I make the big purchase. Also, my tank is 3 ft long, a thirty gallon. Thanks in advance!

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I love them. I have 5 of their fixtures (one 4x39w, two 4x24w, two 2x39w). I really like that they have remote ballasts and individual reflectors. I called one day to ask about exchanging something and the guy told me that they were sold out of what I wanted, but I had up to a year to exchange it with something else if I wanted. I never did, just ordered the other fixture I wanted, but the offer was very nice of them. I have two 2x24w Nova Extremes as well and actually like the fishneedit fixtures better.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by the remote? And are they able to have Diy moonlights attached on them? Thanks a bunch I will most likely purchase from there then.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You could probably DIY a moonlight on there, they have the room if you used double sided tape. Remote ballasts as in, they aren't in the fixture. The fixture sits on the tank and the ballast can be mounted on the wall or in the stand. I think most MH fixtures are set up this way.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh so it has to be put together, it's not a plug and play type thing? Is there a certain adhesive they give you or bolts/ screws?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No, no.. nothing like that. It's all together. The ballast is wired inline on the cord. You have the option of mounting it somewhere, or you can just sit it on the floor. Here are some pics of mine...

This is how the ballast looks (strapped to the wall):

This is a pic I took of it in the box. You can see the ballast below the foam. If you look, you can see where there's a lot of cord on one side (going to the fixture) and a little cord on the other (going to the wall).

Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks lol that helped more than you can imagine haha. I understand completely now. Okay so, that looks exactly how I would like it. I'm going to make the purchase after I buy my rock and will be ready for fish then coral within a month! The prices for lights went down sooo much since the last time I went shopping. The light i need is like half the price I would have bought it for lol. Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like Fishneedit. I would own a second one if they hadn't been out of stock when I set up my newest tank. They're probably the best buy for your money unless you find a hot sale on some high-end piece of equipment.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am getting ready to purchase one because my cycle just started and I want to be prepared for after...
What corals will it be able to keep? It will be the 3ft. fixture for me. I want to be able to keep at least candycane corals and maybe acans
Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I checked the website, is the 4 bulb one the type to get or will I suffice with the 2 bulb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com